scratched Ti G4.

paradice

Registered
On xmas day i got a scratch on the top of my G4 Powerbook. Does anyone know of anything that will remove such disaster.
thanks

I've seen some empty PBG4 cases at ebay. If it's a really big disaster for you, I'd like to buy it ;)

Before buying paint from "tipaint", do some searching. A lot of people are pretty unhappy with this company and it's product.

Hmm. I'll get a wrecked, but working PBG4 pretty soon, so I'll see what I can do with it. Eventually I'll disassemble the whole thing and put the titanium parts in isopropyl alcohol, and paint the whole computer black or white.

did you through it out of the window while speeding on the highway ?

Originally posted by chevy
did you through it out of the window while speeding on the highway ?

It's a picture I got from the person I'm buying this computer from. He said it was dropped 20 cm down on the floor :confused: :p
But I'm getting it cheap, so I'm pleased.

Originally posted by ksv
It's a picture I got from the person I'm buying this computer from. He said it was dropped 20 cm down on the floor :confused: :p
But I'm getting it cheap, so I'm pleased.

How cheap is cheap? Cheap as in it will boot up once and be dead... or Cheap as in it works no problems at all... just the scratch cheap?

hmmmm...

Originally posted by bobw
Before buying paint from "tipaint", do some searching. A lot of people are pretty unhappy with this company and it's product.

I bought paint from them, and are not satisfied with the result. The paint isn't the same color. It's diffcult to paint with it. And the TiPaint scratches of really fast.

Originally posted by Sirtovin
How cheap is cheap? Cheap as in it will boot up once and be dead... or Cheap as in it works no problems at all... just the scratch cheap?

hmmmm...

$1570 cheap. And that really is cheap in Norway. Couldn't count on gettting this model for less than $2200 if it was in good condition. The low-end 867 MHz model costs $3300 over here.
This one is a 550 MHz with combo drive and gigabit ethernet.

Originally posted by ksv
$1570 cheap. And that really is cheap in Norway. Couldn't count on gettting this model for less than $2200 if it was in good condition. The low-end 867 MHz model costs $3300 over here.
This one is a 550 MHz with combo drive and gigabit ethernet.

Are you absoutlely sure that the machine is in good condition? Nothing rattling in their? etc? I would never buy a computer that was dropped... but if you are comfortable than go for it.

Also you'd want to look for a 667/800 model because of the better graphics card AND higher resolution screen. Might get one of those cheaper now. And not dropped. :)

667 MHz DVI PowerBooks go for around $1700 on ebay. With tax and shipping, that's $2232. Notice there are two 667 MHz models -the Gigabit Ethernet and the DVI. The Gigabit model is known to run cooler, so with a little luck I can tweak the 550 MHz to 667 MHz and 133 MHz bus. The PBG4 Gigabit logic boards were designed to run at 133 MHz bus speed, but greedy Apple intentionally kept the bus speed down on the low-end model. Anyway, the only parts that are damaged are the frame around the trackpad assembly and the speakers. I think I can repair/replace them both :)

So anyone with any other suggestions? And yeah i guess you could say i use my powerbook quite a lot with upmost care.

Also has anyone got paint lifting/bubbling on the right hand side of the PB where your palm usually rests? (the white paint bit)
I got that real bad and no its not because i have a skin disorder if thats what your thinking.
Anyone care to help?? please do.

Originally posted by malexgreen
Jumping jiminiy! :eek: So is the powerbook durable or what? Looks like it is not, or have you been really "using" it?

I didn't own the book when that happened, but now when I've got it, I can see it's only the plastic frame around the titanium that's damaged, and some white paint scrathed off the bottom of the display. Scratching off all the white paint and replacing the plastic frame will make it look like new :)

Back