Screen saver can't be disabled; starts when it feels like it

brianus

Registered
I have a weird problem with my screen saver. I had to shut down my Mac mini (G4, 1.42GHz) manually via the power button a few days ago, and ever since then, the system refuses to obey the "Start screen saver:" time delay preference in System Preferences. I'd always had it set to "Never", but now it always starts after the standard time interval. I've since discovered that even if I set it to 3 minutes, it still waits a half hour or so to start (I'm assuming it's the default delay).

I've checked for corrupt preferences in my home and main Library directories files using plutil, but they're all good; I booted with the restore disc to repair any startup disk HDD errors in Disk Utility (all good); I've even trashed and re-set my screen saver .plist file (~/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.screensaver.SOMEHASH.plist) a few times. From the looks of things, the Screen Saver preferences pane *is* recording the correct idle time and screen saver in the .plist file, it's just not honoring the idle time. It does, however, allow me to change the screen saver itself.

Any ideas on how to fix this? I can't emphasize enough how much I hate screen savers. I want this thing gone! It's especially frustrating that I have to leave the computer sit for a half hour just to test any possible solution...

have you made sure that there isn't a screensaver corner set and you have moved the mouse to that corner?

have you made sure that there isn't a screensaver corner set and you have moved the mouse to that corner?

Huh? That doesn't describe my problem at all. First of all, the screensaver starts after an interval of more than half an hour, not randomly while I'm working. Secondly if I did have a hot corner set (which I wouldn't, since I dislike screen savers), I would have noticed long before this recent power reset.

And anyway, my corners control Exposé...

Back