Screen Saver Freezes Attempting To Disengage.

Whitehill

Registered
I updated to 10.10 a couple of weeks ago - then to 10.10.1. It was mostly OK except for one major gripe I'll mention later. Right now ...

I leave my iMac running overnight with the screensaver set to random and displaying the time floating around. When I got back in the morning, both yesterday and today, the time was correct but the screen froze when I wiggled the mouse or touched a key. Both times I had to power off then on to get going - going to "safe" boot both times.

The console is kind of strange. It shows a TM backup completing normally at 2am, and then ... nothing until the restart at 5:30am. No hourly backup, just nothing - which probably explains why I couldn't SSH from another machine. The console also show lots of this message:

12/15/14 5:23:46.000 AM kernel[0]: BUG in process suhelperd[198]: over-released legacy external boost assertions (1 total, 1 external, 0 legacy-external)​

Same after a normal reboot. Any ideas on what to look at?

Gripe mentioned above. Since moving to Yosemite, certain apps take a loooong time to wake up after sitting idle overnight. The worst offenders are Numbers and Pages, but others do it, including non-Apple apps. The windows appear instantly, but so does the beachball, spinning away for 40 seconds or more. Has anyone else seen this behavior?

I did a google search and found that you are not alone with the BUG. It is posted on Apple Discussions.

See if this will help:
Go to System Preferences>App Store and turn off automatic updates
Now open the App store and uncheck ‘Automatically check for updates’

I did a google search and found that you are not alone with the BUG. It is posted on Apple Discussions.
Please post a link. I also searched but didn't find anything very apt.
Go to System Preferences>App Store and turn off automatic updates
Now open the App store and uncheck ‘Automatically check for updates’
OK, I did the 1st. Where in the App Store do I find something to uncheck?

Yesterday afternoon, I quit both Pages and Numbers. This morning my system was running fine. Today I'll leave only Pages running and see what happens tomorrow AM.

Forget about it. The simplest answer is usually right. My internal disk failed completely this morning. I'm working from a SuperDuper clone until my new iMac arrives Thursday. Merry Christmas to me!

Back