Screen Spanning Doctor problems?

easterhay

little green rosetta
Have seen this hack (details here: http://www.rutemoeller.com/mp/ibook/ibook_e.html) mentioned in other threads, but wondered if anyone could shed further light on possible problems.
I've been toying with the thought of an additional monitor to supplement my 12" iBook. I'm a switcher and had no idea there would be limitations with spanning and resolution when I bought the 'book.
I'm tempted by the hack, but don't want to fry my precious Mac.
Can anyone chip in with their experiences, positive or negative?
Thanks

Hi there

I've used screen spanning hack without incident on several ibooks and have just applied it to a 12" again without incident. Just make sure you repair permissions first!

Cheerio

Matt

Hi mcf - I've lost track of how many views this thread has had, and yours is the first reply, which must mean good things about people's experiences.
Just one doubt - you mean repair permissions through Disk Utility and everything should be okay? Do you mean before or after installing? Thanks for taking the time to answer,
easterhay

Hello ecirtap (you should have seen me trying to type patrice backwards, took me a while - just woken up, hangover). Thanks for the reply. Now all I have to do is save up a thousand pesos to buy the monitor I want!

Just installed SSD on my 12" 1.33 GHz ibook G4. Super cool at first - saw the unlocked resolutions and changed to 1920x1080. Then decided it would be interesting to see the 90* rotation view. BIG mistake. did not work- screen looked weird then went blank. had to shut down and restart without external monitor connected in order to see anything but a blank, grey, blue, or weird screen. now I cannot even get the regular mirror setting to work- no external monitor viewing at all. 1) won't recognize external display unless I restart with it already connected. 2) even then, only shows blue screen (color of my desktop) but nothing else anywhere to be found. 3) with Screen Spanning Doctor enabled, still get weird looking screen - external display still appears rotated 90 degrees based on mouse pointer movements, but cannot see anything except gray hash. Tried disabling ScreenSpanningDoctor, deleting it from trash, resetting PRAM and NVRAM (unless they did not reset for some reason though I followed apple's instructions), and repaired disk permissions. Still same situation. Would be thrilled to get settings back as if I never installed SSD. Please help. Thank you.

I have the same problem as you when I selected the 90 degree rotation option. did you ever find a solution? I was able to regain control of my iBook G4 by disconnecting the mini VGA cord, but I'm unable to use external monitor.

Back