Screen went black after 10.5.8 upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tigon

Registered
So I installed the 10.5.8 upgrade on my MacBook4,1 early -08. First impressions was that the screen got really bright. After a coupple of minutes the screen went black. So i called up Apple tech and asked what to do. After a coupple of NVRAM and PRAM (alt + cmd + R + P w. battery removed before) no success. I had to go to work and left it hanging.

When I got back I gave it a shot my self. After hocking up the computer to my TV I could see what I was doing without using a flashlight as a light source on the screen. Managed to reinstall Leopard clean, that didn't help.

Called up Apple tech again and asked for help, but no success there.

Installed Ubuntu 9.04 and the problem resided. So i removed all partitions, incl. the EFI and reinstalled Leopard. Same problem. In anger i tried to alter the screen brightness controls as the screen flashed before my eyes when i used them. I figured out that i could set the brightness to lvl 4 (out of 15) and the light wouldn't go out, at lvl 5 the light would be on for a while and then die. The higher the levels the faster the screen goes black.

Anyone experienced this with the 10.5.8 update?! Do you have any solution to this problem?

Best regards

Anton Johansson

Update: Booted from the install disk while pressing D for diagnostics. Ran the extended test four times without any problems found. Problem remains.

Update: I reinstalled Leopard (10.5.2 that came with the MB) and repaired the permissions after the clean install. Installed Combo Update 10.5.8 and fixed the permissions, same problem still occurs. Clean installed Leopard 10.5.2 again, repaired the permissions. Combo Update 10.5.7, repair permissions, Combo Update 10.5.8 repair permissions. didn't help. Started up in Safe Mode and repaired permissions. The screen goes black after a while in 10.5.2 also. Problem is still unresolved.

Last edited:
Hmm, sounds like it was just a coincidence, and doesn't have anything to do with the update, it sounds to me like your inverter has went out on you.
Its always weird like this when these things happen.

After it says "Software installed, you must restart" was it after you restarted?

Find a monitor with a DVI connection to test external video to make sure its not software or a logic board issue. I'd imagine since you booted to AHT and the screen was still dim that rules out software. If you have Applecare just let them deal with it. If the external video works great you most likely need an inverter or LCD panel. Inverter is definitely the cheaper part but most times I see these its the LCD.

After hocking up the computer to my TV I could see what I was doing without using a flashlight as a light source on the screen.

Find a monitor with a DVI connection to test external video to make sure its not software or a logic board issue.

I'm thinking its the inverter, he said he tried to re-install leopard, and also installed ubuntu, so that kinda rules those two out..

Hello!

After it says "Software installed, you must restart" was it after you restarted?

The screen went black the first time about 3 minutes after the update reboot.

Find a monitor with a DVI connection to test external video to make sure its not software or a logic board issue.

If you have Applecare just let them deal with it

I've been using the DVI -> HDMI cable after the screen problems started, no problem with the output. And I didn't get the Apple Care when i bought my MB, unfortunately.

So it's the inverter and/or the screen. Hm, guess I'll try that then. Thanks!

/Anton

Replaced the display and the inverter today. Up and running for 30 min at full brightness. Looks like this solved my problem. Thanks for the superb answers!

Best regards

Anton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back