Screensaver with Mail alerts?

texanpenguin

Registered Penguin
It's a rather obscure thing I'm after, but it would be very useful. My PowerBook is always on, and overnight, it is on password encrypted screensaver or sleep.

I have an abnormal fixation with reading my e-mail as quickly as possible, so periodically, I find myself exiting the screensaver, typing the password, then checking the Mail icon. More often than not, I don't have mail there that I haven't read, but it does happen sometimes. This means there's often a good deal of time wasted by authenticating and the like.

What I'd like is some sort of notification above my Flurry (or ANY screensaver) that reports my Mail messages if I receive any new ones. Ideally, it'd be purely productivity-based, showing me upcoming iCal events, telling me who's online in each of my IM clients (or at least iChat AV), and even how many updates there are to RSS feeds in my NetNewsWire.

Even if I could just have some way to have the Mail and NNW icons super-imposed like on the Alt+Tab menu when I'm on my screensaver.

Now I know it's a big ask, but does anyone have any clue of how I'd accomplish this?

I have not heard of such an animal. But then I am just one person.

You could just disable the password. Then moving the mouse will stop the screen saver and you can check mail from the dock. (any new messages will show as a number on the mail icon in the dock).

I have the password on as an important security feature seeing as I take the PowerBook to Uni with me, and it stands a reasonably high chance of being stolen at some point.

I'd LIKE that Dock Mail icon to be superimposed over my running Screen Effect to show me how many messages I have at any one time without needing to unlock the system.

Just as an example if I have your machine I can copy the whole hard drive using only one finger and two buttons. Circumventing all of your security!!!

Bwahahahahahah!!!!

Seriously, what are you actually trying to protect and we may be able to give you a better answer as to how to go about it.

Sounds like he mainly wants the NEW MAIL & number of ontop of the screensaver MORE than increased security. I too would find this useful as i use a few machines at the same time, and i too have a simple awake password to stop prying eyes should i leave the room etc.

Anyone know of such an app? ;)

Back