Screwd up HD

jecroft

Registered
k brand name not important, I have a secondary 40 gig hd that didn't get formatted right to be used on my mac, it worked great at first but slowly over time when accessed will freeze the machine, unfreeze, then close out the finder and then that will restart by itself. I do the disk utility to verify and repair but that doesn't always work. I have no real way to just get the info off the disk if i'm unable to access it. I can't just get it up long enough to get the data over to my main hd, that has only 3 gigs left and i'm using almost 15 gigs on the secondary. I could also put it in a windows box and see if that gives is access to get the data off then do a format for the mac. but I have no access to a windows box for that. anyone know of any software(prefer freeware due to being an extremely poor college studen) that can fix my problem without doing a format or any suggestions that may help before a full format is used?

When you used Disk Utility did you run it a second or third time to make sure you get the message "appears to be okay"? What OS are you running on the main hard drive?
Apple's Disk Utility does not repair all problems and you need a third party utility. Drive 10, Norton Utility or Disk Warrior will do the job.

Hindsight is 20/20... why didn't you format the drive before you started to use it?

Is it possible for you to run the drive as a firewire-drive? You would need another mac and mount the disc on your current system. Wouldn't know if this does a change, but maybe you are lucky

I did format it in the beginning cheryl i'm just guessing that the format didn't work right the first go through, i've used disk utility and it says all is kosher. i know of disk warrior very well but unable to get a copy, as i said poor starving college student and 80 bucks is just not availble to fork out. norton can just die i laugh that they have to have a utitility for their software incase it screws up the disk in the first place.

Zammy interesting idea but not an option with what i have availble.

edited by edx

Quote:
"Apple's Disk Utility does not repair all problems and you need a third party utility. Drive 10, Norton Utility or Disk Warrior will do the job."

Here's my problem maybe you can help. I bought DiskWarrior a few months ago because I was having problems with the disk permissions on my PowerBook. Warrior did great and the problems went away but when I bought Norton Utilities a few weeks ago for its virus abilities it said that my drive was severly fragmented. I put off running the defrag and now I have no idea where I've put the CD and am wondering whether Warrior can defragment a drive. Have any idea?

Thanks.
Mazmaximus

Do Not believe what Norton's tells you. I wouldn't use Norton's on my OS X drives. You don't have to defrag the X drive, just run DiskWarrior on it booted from the DW CD.

bobw said:
Do Not believe what Norton's tells you. I wouldn't use Norton's on my OS X drives. You don't have to defrag the X drive, just run DiskWarrior on it booted from the DW CD.

I'm a mac novice so bare with me. Is Norton not accepted as a good utility by mac users?

Norton Utility is good for hard drives running OS 9 and older. For OS X, I really do not recommend it. If you have both OS 9 and OS X installed, stick with Drive 10 or Disk Warrior.

For anti virus, you can get Norton Anti Virus for OS X.

Disk Warrior does optimize... check it out at:
http://www.alsoft.com/DiskWarrior/index.html

No, Norton's is not accepted as a good utility for MacOSX. It's screwed up many machines for people. Don't know about the latest version, but I wouldn't use it on X. On prior systems, OS 9.x and before, it was great

i wouldn't go so far as to say "great", but it was decent before. it is generally seen by mac users as an inferior product to the other options we have available.

diskwarrior does not defragment your files, only your directory. however, that will solve most problems that diskutility doesn't get. personally i still swear by a regular file defragmentation using plus optimizer. i see improved performance and less flakiness every time i run it.

Back