Screwed up default icons???!?

EricDoggett

Registered
Ok this is driving me crazy. Check out the attached screen capture showing a capture from sysprefs and one from the dock. I've done no icon modification/replacement. This is simply what I see now on the dock/sys prefs every boot up. I also get a whacked purple apple at logon too! (but don't know how to screen capture that one for you).

Any ideas??

Thanks!!
Eric Doggett

Attachments

• image3.jpg
    image3.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 32
Have you tried all the disk first aid stuff? Starting up with 'apple+s' typing in 'fsck -y' at the prompt?

Twister

ok, I fsck 'ed upon bootup as suggested, but I still get the whacked colors as shown in the above attachment. Funny thing is, the trash can appears fine until something is put in it, then it goes purple, and stays purple (empty or full)!!!

well, unfortunately, aquafix didn't. But, I noticed something interesting.

I downloaded candybar to change the trashcan icon to something else, and it actually changed to a purple-tinted variant of the icon I selected in candybar!!!!!

What's up with this???

Is there some defaults write command that has turned on 'purple' for that icon?!?!?!?!

Losing my mind,

Eric

you don't have labels installed that might be going nuts? Or any third party things?

It sounds like you might need to re-install or.

Twister

holy COW!!

I just switched to a crt monitor (from the flatscreen 15'' mag) and the PROBLEM WENT AWAY!

What could possibly cause specific icons to change colors on a mag flatscreen, but not a crt, and leave the rest of the desktop and applications perfectly unaffected???

This has nothing to do with resources, and everything to do with monitor bit-depth. I still launch SimCity 2000 through classic from time to time, and it automatically switches the screen from whatever it is to 256 colors. After that, all my icons look crazy colors. Apple has not modified any of these icons to be used in 256 colors or below, so as a result, we get crazy colors when we switch to lower monitor bit-depths. Change your monitor to thousands or millions and it should look fine.

Hi Adam -

Good suggestion, but that was one of the first things I tried - varying bit depth, resolution, and refresh rate.

Maybe Apple has something against Mag ? :)

Back