script to automate installs

sonic84

Registered
Hello, I am attempting to find/write a script to handle the automation of software installs. This would be used on many macs in a business environment. As a example I'll use VMware Fusion. By default VMware 2.0 is installed on all out macs, I need to upgrade it to version 3. right now I am using a bash script to open the uninstaller, copy the new serial to the clipboard then running the 3.0 installer. This requires a lot of user interaction (mouse clicks, installer navigation, etc...). Is there a way of using applescript to automate the removal and install and minimize user interaction? I've been searching google for the past few hours with no luck. Because it's such a repetitive and predictable action, I'd settle for scripting each event:
tell installer click OK
tell installer click Agree
tell installer click continue
etc....

Thank you!

ex2bot

Registered Bot
Automator has (added in 10.5, I believe) the ability to record your kepresses and mouse clicks. I tried it early on and it didn't work very well. But maybe it will work for you. You'll see the red circular record button on top of the window.

sonic84

Registered
That's a great idea. I had tried to record my actions using the record feature in apple script. Which failed..... it didn't occur to me that Automator had a similar feature. I'll give it a try. Thank you!