SCSI Drives wierdness! Help needed.

toybox

Registered
Ok, we got following problem. We have a Dual G5 machine with a 5 SCSI drives in a bracket (not raid, just five seperate drives) attached to dual channel Atto card. Few days earlier, system lost it's ability to properly mount them. The error message was 9972, if i recall it correct. Something related with filesystem. However, they can be repaired with use of included utility. But then it starts all over again. So, we upgraded the system to 10.4.5 (it was panther earlier) and now we got following situation. When start the machine, we got two random drives out of reach of the system and one, that can be mounted manually. When, after certain amount of time, we restart the system, all 5 drives are here and functioning good. This is usual scenario. We changed atto cards, even whole macs... The problem still here. It drive me nuts every morning, any help will be greatly appreciated.

Are all of the drives ID's different? If not, this is likely your problem. You need to set the jumpers on the drives to make sure none of the drives have the same ID.

All the drives configured correct. The system was functioning perfectly, and then it starts... I ran out of ideas.

Have you confirmed that that ATTO card is supported by Mac OS X? Is it standard SCSI, LVD, Ultra-SCSI, etc? Are you using a terminator of any kind (not always necessary).

Ouch! - I feel your pain...

SCSI is amazing when it works - but can be an absolute headache to set up and maintain. My inital thoughts seem to linger on termination... Does the cable/s have an inbuilt terminator on the end or are you just terminating the last drive on the cable via jumper? Are you using both channels? Are the two drives that don't respond on the same channel? Which ATTO card are you using? Are you using the correct type of cable/s? (Ultra 2 SCSI and above requires "paired" cabling.) Are all the drives the same? (list Brand / speed / type?) It's hard to suggest possible troubleshooting as more info is required...

Back