SCSI Tape Drive and OS X

Cro-Magnon

Registered
Greets,

Is there any way to get a SCSI Tape drive to work under OS X? I have a variety of 4mm and 8mm DAT drives available at my work and a Beige G3 (upgraded to G4) with built-in SCSI. I have the drive physically hooked up to the Mac, and the Apple System Profiler shows that something is there at that SCSI address.

Looking at the /dev directory with Terminal shows no tape devices. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Did you install the OS X drivers for your tape drive? OS X does have built in support for Imation and Iomega. Check the OS X CD for additinal drivers. The OS 10.1 cd had included a great many drivers.

If not, check the web site of the maker of your drive. If you need help let me know

I know that HP does not have any drivers for their 4mm drives at their site (already checked). I'll have to check Exabyte and will check the 10.1 CD as well. Thanks for the tip.

I don't know if there is or is not internal OSX support for tape drives. A good backup program, such as Retrospect, may be able to use that tape drive. I just looked at the Dantz web site, Retrospect does not support any SCSI tape drives! It does support a variety of optical drives, and some USB tape drives. Theres not much else available for tape backup software of that caliber yet. That may be changing as 10.2 gets released. Someone else may have other knowledge about that. Good Luck

Back