Seagate Freeagent Pro not recognized by OS 10.4.2

playsguitars

Registered
Hey, all, my first post! After reading all the helpful hints i knew that when i had an issue i would come here. The day has come.

I'm running a home studio and I have a Freeagent Pro 500G model that streams my audio and midi to my Macbook Pro. (penryn 2008) Just the other day when i fired the equipment up, my external drive wasn't recognized by OSX. I don't understand why, because it seems to be spinning up and everything. I have tons of important sessions on this drive, and can't believe it might be dead. I've gone straight to the computer via firewire, into my interface via firewire and out again, tried absolutely everything. the drive just won't come up on my desktop! I tried flashing the PRAM, and i'm at my wits end now to come up with a solution, even if it's as temporary as backing up the data on the drive! Too much money is at stake to be messing around with it right now. I can say that I'm totally buying a Glyph as soon as i get this figured out. Thank you so much for any help, i'm desperate!!

I'm guessing you meant 10.5.2. ;)

Have you tried updating to the latest version of OS X Leopard? I know that a lot of issues (especially with audio/MIDI, not sure about Firewire) were addressed with 10.5.3 that were quite evident in 10.5.0-10.5.2, so the latest version might resolve your issues.

yea, that os is what i meant :confused:
i get pro tools version and mac build confused a lot.
anyway, the drive came online and was recognized not two minutes after i posted the last time. I have NO idea what would cause it to dissapear, but updating the os is the last thing I want to do just yet, simply because of Digidesign and their notorious incompatibility with new os builds. damn them..
but, it worked fine and i finished up my session, backed everything up. i'm getting a Glyph drive once i can afford to splurge. this one's given me so many strange issues already not to mention Seagate's oh-so-helpful advice when i have issues.:mad:
Thanks for the help, hopefully i can update soon!

Understood about Digidesign. :) What version of PT are you using?

Have you checked on the Seagate website to see if they have any updated software for the drive? SOmetimes they'll either have a firmware upgrade or some updated drivers than what was shipped with the product.

I'm using 7.4.2 as of this writing. I have checked with seagate, apparently, they don't do the whole "update" to a hard drive's firmware. LOL! seriously? It's just that time to get a Glyph, the real deal to handle my audio needs. I'll just use the Seagate to backup my music on my PC. I don't think I can trust seagate any longer. Don't get me wrong, their internal drives are fantastic, the cheapo externals aren't really what i need. Plus, the drive has this stupid spindown/sleep feature that puts the drive to sleep after 30 seconds of innactivity! I can't be having that in my studio! You can't change any of the drive's settings on a mac, which makes the whole statement that it's "PC and MAC compatible" just a crock.

PS. I also like to keep behind an apple update at least one step, just to verify that there aren't any potential problems that may hinder my work. Remember Digi and their Leopard compatibility timeline? Leopard was out for just under a year when Digi was like, "Oh, yea, now we're compatible with the Intel mac os 10.5.x." Wow, I think Ill just stay where I am HAHA!

Back