Seagate or Hitachi?

trance

Registered
I'm gonna replace my Powerbook's hard drive myself.Any reason to choose a Seagate over an Hitachi?
Does Seagate make better HDs?

Samsung. ;)

Basically, they all make good drives. The chance of you getting a monday-model is slim, but if you do, it could've happened with any vendor.

When you say *better*, you might mean is there anything I need to know about Seagate vs Hitachi drives. You might have experience with either or neither but both manufacturers have a very good name so you have narrowed your choice very well. AFAIK, as fryke mentions, there are 'monday-models' regardless of vendor but the odds decrease when dealing with reputable's like Seagate/Samsung/Hitachi. This is my opinion and not based on any fact I know of.

I use Seagate and can't say I've ever experienced any issues with my drives but have recently read that Hitachi drives *may* be quieter and cooler than Seagate.

You could do some further research on those factors if you like or take the plunge on your gut feeling based on your choice of two top level brand names.

Well, Seagate warrantees their HDs for 5 years while Hitachi and the others warranty for 3 so I figured that Seagate just might be of a bit better quality, and the price for the Seagate at OWC is just 5$ more.

Then go with that. The important thing is that you feel comfortable. Just be aware that any warranty does *not* include your data. If your drive dies, _you're_ the one who has to care about backups. They just care about replacing your drive under warranty.

Back