searching for a Microsoft-free RAID1 system

christopher94523

Registered
I tried the bug-ridden NetGear ReadyNAS Duo and sent it back after Support's addendums to their setup-lacking documentation all failed.

I would like to find a two-bay one drive mirroring the other RAID1 box that has no:

SAMBA
SMB
Active Directory
CIFS
TotalNET
SharePoint

and that does have

NFS
AFP

Microsoft taints and ruins everything it tries to re-write as proprietary or as being servile to Microsoft. It's just like Plesk ruining what an terminal window and Webmin do so easily.

I want sharable folders and files that use group-and-user permissions, not silly SharePoint.
I want to edit my web files with Dreamweaver and BBEdit, and then will FTP them from my iMac or Mac Mini up to the appropriate domain.

It's simple.
It has worked for over 30 years.
It doesn't need greedy MS code breaking it.
It doesn't need silly audio servers when iTunes and NiceCast can already grab input from any external drive.
It doesn't need frilly photo or movie servers when the connections are local.
It just needs file/folder access and the ability to set permissions, groups, and ownership.

I want two 1TB or 2TB drives.
I must be able to SEE what's on both drives (to verify copying, sizes, dates, etc.) and to get reports about block/sectors failures.

Oh yeah, it could have AFP, but I do not want it clogged up with Time Machine code that expects that that is my goal when it is not.

I do not keep data on my internal Mac drives (that's proved better left for OS and Apps only).

Suggestions are very appreciated.

Thanks much,
christopher94523

Chris,

I am sorry to hear of your problems with the Duo. I looked up your support case (#12467323), and agree that NTGR support did not handle the situation properly.

So you've already sent the device back? :( Otherwise, I would have recommended you goto our forums at www.readynas.com, to get a proper solution to your issue. The ReadyNAS can be setup to only serve NFS and AFP, disabling other protocols.

Back