Second Display Blank Grey screen

marfar10

Registered
I am running OS 10.3.9. I put this on about a year ago. I am using two displays. One is a Silicon Graphics model AM173Y01, which a tech at SGI told me is probably a Sony. Here is what happened...Somehow, I had lost GarageBand, and when I tried to install iLife again, I got an error message to the effect of one of the iLife applications was running, so, turn it off before installing. I found a website that advised going into
System - Accounts - Startup, and remove iTunes helper. Instead of clicking the minus sign, I unchecked it, or hid it, then rebooted. Ever since then, the computer does not seem to be aware that the SGI display is attached. It shows a blank grey screen. The other display works fine, I can use the Mac with it. I did remove iTunes helper, and got GB re-installed, bur now I don't seem to be able to find iTunes helper again, and don't know if I even need it in my start up, or if this afecting my display problem.
When I installed this OS last year, the monitor would work, but only on a real small resolution. I was able to find an OS update to fix that, but this problem is worse. I have searched the web, but have not found anything that remotely addresses this. The display itself seems to be mechanically alright. But the Mac won't use it. Can you help?

What you need to do is update your video cards drivers. I had to reinstall my drivers after loading up 10.5. And No I'm not running a boot leg I am part of apple's dev's I run a small programming biz. Anyway that is what has worked for me in the two times that I have had to reinstalled the OS.

I thought this may be the problem, thanks for the confirmation. Unfortunately, I have been unable to locate these drivers online, and I have searched all day. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I mght locate them?

Go TO System Preferences Click Displays and Click "Detect Displays" if that doesnt work Click on Color and If your monitor is in the list try and "Calibrate"
Picture 1.png

Picture 3.png

(You can Click the Images to make them Bigger)

I do not get the "Detect Displays" option when I go to Displays. Under "Display" I get"
Resolutions on the Left. It is set on 1024 X 768.
On the Right:
Colors. I can select 256 colors, Thousands, or Millions. It is set on Millions.
Refresh Rate, set on 75.0 Hertz.
Under that is says, "Show Displays in menu bar", that is checked.
Then it says, "Number of recent modes." 3 is selected.
Under "Color":
I have "Display Profile", there are four displays listed.
To the right of that it says, "Show profiles for this display only". It is not checked. When I do check it, two of the listed displays go away. It leaves the one that still works, "DELL E771p", and it lists "DELL E771p Calibrated". The other two are "Generic RGB profile", and "sRGB profile". It has the "Calibrate" button. When I chose one of the "RGB" displays and click Calibrate, it calibrates the DELL E771p, every time! I tried to attach some screen shots, but don't know if it worked.
Do you know why I don't get the "Detect Displays" option? Is there another way to get the computer to detect hardware? Thanks for the reply. Any help someone can give me will be appreciated. I am really missing my BIG desktop. If someone knows more, please reply.
Thanks.

So far, nothing works. I have found out the display was made by Mitsubishi, but that's no help, 'cuz they and SGI only provided drivers for PC's (Is it true PC stands for Pile of Cr*p?), and even if they did have something for Mac, this display is pretty old.
The tech support from this site have generously made numerous suggestions, none have worked yet. If someone knows how I might update drivers in this OS, I'd try that, I guess. Unless there was a reason it would mses me up worse, I can't see how.
Anywho, if somebody has dealt with this, or has an idea, I need this display to work, no funds for a new display, card, etc., at this moment.
Beyond that, if someone wants to trade a pretty decent 17" display for a cool looking GIANT, vintage paperweight...lemme know.
Thanks everyone.

Back