Securing Netboot image installs...

sverbus

Registered
Ok, I have a callcenter with about 150 computers that all have to be managed and imaged by myself. I've got agents on the floor that think they know how to do this, and when they get an issue with a computer they just hold in the N key and net install and then think they are fine.

Wrong, they sometimes get my Supervisor image which has Remote desktop, office, and Virtual PC w/winxp for doing call QA stuff. Or they get the image that is used for a basic install that has nothing major in it that won't allow them to connect to my Ldap server where their profiles are stored. They I get a trouble ticket stating that their profiles are screwed up, when it actually is the fact that the comp. they are on can't connect to it no matter what.

Can I set up my Tiger server so that a user/pass has to be entered at the client/agent's machine before it will push the selected image out??

This would make it much more secure and stop alot of my hassle since agents, as we all probably know, hate to listen. :)

Thanks all

Scott Verbus

No info yet? :( I was really hoping there was a way to secure that. Maybe somone will stumble across this thread.

Thanks for lookin though fellas :)

Scott

For security and safety of data, you could include the an Open Firmware password, so that a user can't alter the boot options, such as Netboot, Target Disk, etc.

Michael

Back