Security Cable For iBook

originaljohn

Registered
Hi folks:

I have an old kensington security cable that I have not been able to use with my new iBook. For some reason, the metal lock will not fit into the security slot on my iBook. Does the iBook actually use a different size cable? I have not heard any mention of that.

Thanks,
John

I've not heard that either. I've got a Kensington cable thats about a year and a half old, and it works great with my iBook. As far as I know, the security lock slot is fairly standardized among most devices (my FW CDRW and my old PC laptop both have the same slot size/shape).

Perhaps the cable is REALLY old and doesn't match what everyone has finally settled on as the "standard" slot?

Actually the cable is about a year old, so its not ancient. It looks like its but a millimeter or two too large on either side, so I cant fit it in all the way. I have seen that they sell locks with two barrel sizes (one designed for thinner notebooks, so that the barrel of the lock doesn't lift a thin notebook off the ground). But i don't think there is a difference in the actual locking mechanism. Weird.

John

Well I just contacted Kensington, and they tell me the security slot on the new iBook is about 15% smaller than the standard kensington security slot. Well that would be consistent with the fact that my regular kensington security cable does not fit. Has anyone else besides Kenny gotten a regular security cable to work with the new iBook?

John

Back