Security updates?

Shibby

Homer
Anyone know what the new security updates did? I know what the ie update took care of but what was the security update? I also noticed that when i checked the build number of 10.1 it was 5L14 insted of 5G64 anyone know?

If you looked at my previous post about this security update ;), you'd find out that it plugged up the security whole that was found that allowed any application to gain root access without the root password.

After the Software Update installed the security update I noticed that inside the Utilities folder was a weird series of subfolders and files. Does anyone know what this stuff is, whether it can be moved to another folder (I actually have a folder called X Utilities which I use for ALL X utilities (hence the name); thus, I deleted the regular "Utilities" folder (after moving all utilities, of course). The Utilities folder reappeared after the Update with the aforementioned subfolders, etc. now inside).

Utilities/Installer/Contents/Resources/TargetSelect.bundle/Contents/MacOS, etc... (and there are a few files in some of these folders). What is this stuff???

You moved the Installer.app out of the Utilities folder, didn't you? Bad! Bad, bad, bad!

With OS X, you use your computer the way Apple wants you to use it, not the way you want to. Haven't you learned that?

Anyway, the main difference I've noticed is that after the update, my computer has kernel panics all the bloody time. Three kernel panics this evening alone - And I wasn't doing anything unusual at all, just editing a bunch of text files for crying out loud.

i have updated the stuff and have not had any kernel panics..not sure if i have noticed any differences tho
I am wondering how i get the info on the build of osx , i thought i just went about this mac and it stated it, now it just says 10.1 , where's the build number?

no matter, i read a few other posts on this topic and answered my own question...
If you click on the 10.1 in the about this mac, it changes to the build number, another click and it changes to your macs serial number, another click and it is back to 10.1
heh cool.

Scruffy.... you hate OS X, don't you?

To other people using OS X: With OS X, you like the OS the way Scruffy wants to you like it, OK? Wait, you like OS X?: Bad, bad, bad, bad, BAD! :rolleyes:

Seriously, it's not that bad... you don't actually HAVE to keep it in there... only when you want your utilities updated... and frankly, Apple doesn't have to provide built-in software updating into their operating system as a convenience, do they? ;)

As for the kernel panics, I don't know what's causing them -- my computer is as solid as ever. Maybe it's your attitude....... OK, I'll stop flaming. ;)

skore: To get the build number, just go to About this Mac, and click on '10.1'... that will change it to the build number... if you click on the build number, it will change to the serial number of your computer.

I don't hate OS X. I'm quite fond of it. Those bruises are from a fall down stairs.

I mean...

I was particularly vexed at time of posting, having just suffered three kernel panics in succession while trying to get my homework done, this on a system that had until two days ago been rebooted only when some updater required it, not because of crashes.

Turned off the computer before bed for the first time in ages, figuring it would only crash overnight. Turned it on to check e-mail in the morning, came home in the afternoon to find it had crashed again. You can understand my frustration, perhaps...

Originally posted by simX
and frankly, Apple doesn't have to provide built-in software updating into their operating system as a convenience, do they? ;)

uh... well... we don't really have an alternative way to update the system, do we? sure, it's convenient... but only if you haven't changed anything. Whatever happened to "Think Differnt"? We all have to have our computer set up the same way or something?

I have a partition for Applications, where I have most of my apps... 'Software Update' seems to hate that...

When I got "security update" it broke the link to Applications in the root directory, created new Applications folder (and Utilities), then gave me the app as folder.

I couldn't see "IE update" because I have a folder for Internet apps. Apple wants us to keep kitchen knives, pens, and saws all in same place or something? so I moved IE out of the folder, and 'software update' then let me update it... but, since I had IE in another partition, it just had to break the link, create Applications folder, and give me the new IE as folder. :p

I couldn't really figure out how to fix the pkg as folder thing, (one old fix I found was delete LSwhatevers in /users/library/preferences/... not only it doesn't work anymore, it also gave me alot of errors... apps have trouble finding files in /library/application support/ etc... I still had the files, so I put them back and the errors are gone...) so I deleted the IE (folder) copied the IE (app) to /Applications/ (directory, not partition), deleted .pkg file in /library/receipts/ and downloaded IE again... and copied the new app to the Application partition and fixed the link. This is rather tedious and stupid.

and of course... everytime you get an update, it just has to change permissions, so you have to fix it to run sendmail as well...

when I made a partition for Apps, I thought that would make life easier when doing update, etc...

:mad:

Actually, the "new IE" you are referring to actually is just the updated components. It's not incorrectly being shown as a folder, because it doesn't have the necessary resources to be a package. You have to move those components INTO the old package of IE to create the updated version of IE.... that's why it's called an updater and not an installer. :)

You're right about not being able to apply the update any way else, but still, it's not that much of a hassle to keep all the Applications in the Applications folder, is it? What I do, is this:

C3P0: 2.5 gig partition dedicated to the OS X system and base applications/utilities. All utilities that were originally installed with OS X stay here so that Software Update can update them.

HAL 9000: 15 gig partition for all other apps and games, as well as documents. I solve the problem of having multiple documents folders by just making an alias to the documents folder on HAL 9000 inside of C3P0, so when I click the Documents button, OS X is "fooled" into going to the Documents folder inside HAL 9000.

R2D2: Dedicated 2.5 gig partition for Classic MacOS and ITS base applications/utilities so that the OS 9 software update can work well to.

I just remember that any Apple installed application should be in the C3P0 or R2D2 partitions. All other third party applications are on HAL 9000. This solution works beautifully, and I recommend it for people who have partitions.

Those who don't have partitions don't have any major problem, except that it's highly advisable to have partitions because of OS X and it's so many files assosicated with the system.

for all those having trouble with applications folders etc. may i make the following suggestion...

leave the root applications folder alone! create a second applications folder in your home directory and install all your applications there (use aliases to applications in the root applications folder if you want them to appear in your applications folder too.)

if you want to share applications on a multi-user machine create an applications folder in /users/shared and install applications there.

even better... do both!

note there is an /network/applications folder too for sharing apps across a lan.

with osx it pays to think of everything outside your home folder (and public folders like /users/shared) as off-limits. sort of like an inverted os9.

Free & unmuzzled:

Your idea regarding creating an Applications folder WITHIN both shared and my home directory (admin) is a great idea. I have been having problems with my present set up and Software Update and would LOVE to fix it (as I stated above, I had created new X Utilities, X Communications, X Games, etc. folders WITHIN the Application folder and had thrown everything in the sub-folders... this idea sucked and seems to have caused some problems.

Now that I am going to properly fix this, can someone post a screen shot of the proper Applications folder as originally created (with original Utilities folder and all APPLE apps in original places) ... I will then rename (back to original names) and relocate all of my Apple apps.

Thanks!

who needs a screenshot when you have the terminal?:p

the "official"apps in /applications are:

Acrobat Reader 5.0
Address Book
AppleScript/
Calculator
Chess
Clock
DVD Player
Dock Extras/
Image Capture
Internet Connect
Internet Explorer
Mail
Preview
QuickTime Player
Sherlock
Stickies
System Preferences
TextEdit
Utilities/
iMovie for Mac OS X/
iMovie
iTunes

in /applications/utilities:

AirPort Admin Utility
AirPort Setup Assistant
Apple System Profiler
Applet Launcher
CPU Monitor
ColorSync Utility
Console
DigitalColor Meter
Directory Setup
Disk Copy
Disk Utility
Display Calibrator
Grab
Installer
Java Web Start
Key Caps
Keychain Access
NetInfo Manager
Network Utility
Print Center
ProcessViewer
StuffIt Expander
Terminal

rearding /users/shared, since there is a separate folder called /users/shared documents, i just stick applications or application aliases straight into /users/shared, rather than creating an applications sub-folder there. keeps things simple.

another advantage of adopting schemes like this is how easy it makes backup or transferall to another machine/disk. just backup/copy the whole /users folder! because osx stores your preferences etc. within your home folder (in ~/library), clean re-installing the system no longer trashes all your personal settings.

Thank you so much for your efforts on my behalf. I sincerely appreciate it!

One last thing, if it's not too much... how do I do a clean install of OS X on to an IMAGE file? (So I can install the developer tools and pick and choose without having to add the whole thing to my main OS). After I created the blank image file and tried clicking on the OS X installer it said I needed to boot off the CD. So I did, but it only lists the HARD DRIVES when selecting where to install the OS; it never gives me a chance to select the image file stored IN one of these hard drives.

Arrggh! :)

Originally posted by GadgetLover
One last thing, if it's not too much... how do I do a clean install of OS X on to an IMAGE file?

you can't. unfortunately osx's image file support is lacking (or at least the installer).

the developer tools cd has a custom install option and it should put all the developer apps in /developer not /applications.

Back