Seeking advice on reformatting my powerbook.

rimawa

Registered
I have a Powerbook G4 1.5GHZ running OSX 10.3.8 and I have had it for nearly a year. I would like to wipe everything, re-format the drive and reinstall osx so that I can just install the programs I need and have a clean fresh system (I am going to be using the system for Logic Pro 7 and want to start from the best position possible).
How can I do this please?
Any advice most welcome.

I'd get an external FW drive in order to backup what you'll still need afterwards. That done, just use the original installation disk, pop it in and follow the on-screen instructions. You can choose to format the harddrive at installation time (yes, that's what you want) and you can click on "customize" in order to select/deselect some packages/language packs. You probably don't really need all those printer drivers and languages you never plan on learning in the future.

Is that all you need to know?

Oh and: If you plan on getting Tiger soon, I'd wait with re-doing your PowerBook until you have Tiger in your hands. It's going to be cleaner to start directly with Tiger than to now install some version of Panther and then later update to Tiger.

rimawa said:
I need and have a clean fresh system (I am going to be using the system for Logic Pro 7 and want to start from the best position possible).

I am with fryke more or less. If you want to start from the best possible position, then I'd also get a large external firewire. Then,(1) I would clone my internal the the exteral on 1 partition on the external--ending up with a bootable clone. Taking this step would allow you to get back where you started with minimal bother if the need arises. Also, this step automatically would back up all your data files and contents of your home folder. Subsequently, you could (2) install OS X and the programs you want on another (bootable) partition of the external. Once you have that partition working properly you could then clone it to your internal after formatting the internal Mac extended (journaled). In this regard, I would write zeros to the internal going with the "best possible start" idea. You also could (3) set up a third partition on the external for installing Tiger when it becomes availalbe, getting the partition working properly, and ultimately cloning the Tiger partition to your internal. Note that you could skip (2) and install OS X directly on your internal after doing (1). To perform my suggested steps, you would startup with your install DVD/CD # 1 and use the available options.

Yea. Get a large firewire drive and clone a copy of the "Macintosh HD" harddisk and that way you can boot from that if something goes wrong.
Once that is done you can put in your Mac OS X cd, restart the computer and hold the C key right after you hear the boot chime, that will bring you to the installer which will let you wipe the drive clean and reinstall, or I think there is an option to "Archive & Install" or something. :cool:

I think you can accomplish what you want without wiping your system and starting over.

I record with ProTools LE and the Mbox system and I just created a new user account for just those purposes. I don't even surf the web with this account--JUST music.

Back