Seemingly big problems

The Madhatter

Registered
I have on two instance in the past few weeks come across a flashing world when a Mac is starting up.
One was when I tried defragmenting my hard drive using Norton SystemWorks. Before defragging, the program unmounted my hard drive. When the process was complete the hard drive mounted and I chose the OS 9 disk to startup from and when I restarted, my computer simply made a beeping noise, not from the speakers, but from inside the computer. Then I restarted and it came up with a flashing globe/world, and I let it sit for 10 minutes and then it showed the more familiar flashing folder and question mark. After letting that sit for a while I restarted from a System CD, it mounted the HD, and then I chose the startup folder and it worked fine.
My friend just called me a few minutes ago and told me he was listening to music when all the files in the music folder disappeared, the comp froze, and when he tried to restart, the flashing world showed up, and after leaving it alone, the question mark and flashing folder. He tried starting up from both the OS X and OS 9 disks, but it still didn't mount his hard drive. In 9, he tried the Disk First Aid, which found an invalid header node that it couldn't repair. He can't start up without extensions, and without choosing a startup disk, the comp just flashes the question mark and folder icon.
So two questions. One, what does the flashing globe/world icon mean? And two, what is an invalide header node? I suggested perhaps running DiskWarrior, which will work cause he only has 9.1. Will that fix the header node thing and allow the hard drive to mount?
All help will be greatly appreciated.

Back