Self built Mac?

Erix

Registered Linux User
Hi all,

I'm a PC user but for last few weeks thinking of buying a Mac. I'm totally new to Apple issues.

AFAIK it is not possible to built a Mac by self. Is it totally true? Or is it possible to buy the parts and build your own Mac? Can the power processors bought by the end user?

And; are there different kind of motherboard chipsets for Macs like the Pcs?

Thanks for your help.

Erix.

It is possible, but with the parts you'll need, it'll cost more than buying a new Mac from Apple...

But I want a never used Power Mac "cube". I thought I could build one for myself.

I can't believe how I didn't buy one when they were produced. It is the most beautiful piece of hardware I have ever seen.

Erix.

to get the right parts for a g4 cube would probably be more expensive then just buying a new powermac, and cubes aren't as powerful since they aren't made anymore

Than I will change my desktop wallpaper, with a cube photo. And will wait for a new cube from Apple.

:(

Erix.

Well, if you look hard enough, you MIGHT be able to find some old stock SOMEWHERE. It's a pain though, that they discontinued such a beautiful model. Ah well, good luck.

Originally posted by Hypernate
It's a pain though, that they discontinued such a beautiful model.

Apple says that they discontinued the Cube because of low demand.
Why didn't you all demand enough so I could buy one today? ;)

Erix.

Originally posted by Erix
Why didn't you all demand enough so I could buy one today? ;)
I had just purchased my highend G4 tower two months before it came out.. and that set me back enough money.. 'sides, I doubt I could've run two monitors on it back then.. today you probably could with the Radeon 8500..

Was a nice piece.. just too expensive for what it was..

Yes, but in comparison to the jet-engine fans that are in most PCs nowadays... :rolleyes:

I recently switched to the flat panel iMac from the PC world, and I don't hear the fan at all. If I listen I can tell when it's on, but I have to really try.

Originally posted by GrBear
just it's not silent either.. :)

Well if we're to get pedantic, anything that uses mains electricity ISN'T silent either. I can hear if my Sony TV is plugged into the mains, regardless of whether it's on or not.

I can hear my G4 when its Shut Down as I can the LCD iMac.

But as nkuvu pointed out, I really have tp listen hard, close ,y eyes and slow my breathing to hear it!!

So as far as computers are concerned:

it's silent.

Back