Sending Mail

seltzer

Registered
I am using a G4 powerbook (OS-10.3.9) with a verizon dsl modem and a netgear router (b version) and an apple wireless card. I can connect to the internet with no problems at all. I have 2 web-based email accounts, and while I can get my mail with ease, for some reason I cannot send email from either account--I just get a tiny spinning ball until it times out. This goes for new email and replying or forwarding email. Every once in a while when I send an email, it sends it with no problem but this occurs very infrequently (perhaps once a week) and even then, I am only able to send one email--the next time I try (maybe 2 minutes later), it's back to the spinning ball again. I've used several different browsers (safari, firefox, and ie) and the problem persists. Is there a setting I am missing? Could this be a router problem? I'm an experienced mac user but a relative novice when it comes to wireless networking. Thanks so much for your help.

seltzer said:
I am using a G4 powerbook (OS-10.3.9) with a verizon dsl modem and a netgear router (b version) and an apple wireless card. I can connect to the internet with no problems at all. I have 2 web-based email accounts, and while I can get my mail with ease, for some reason I cannot send email from either account--I just get a tiny spinning ball until it times out. This goes for new email and replying or forwarding email. Every once in a while when I send an email, it sends it with no problem but this occurs very infrequently (perhaps once a week) and even then, I am only able to send one email--the next time I try (maybe 2 minutes later), it's back to the spinning ball again. I've used several different browsers (safari, firefox, and ie) and the problem persists. Is there a setting I am missing? Could this be a router problem? I'm an experienced mac user but a relative novice when it comes to wireless networking. Thanks so much for your help.
Since you did not tell say which web-based services you are using, I can only answer generally. Web-based mail is located on the server. What you see on your screen is only an echo of what is on the server. Essentially, it is not a lot different from the behavior of this forum. When you press SEND, you are sending a simple command for the server to send its copy of your message to your recipient. It is possible that you have a problem on your end, but that is highly unlikely to be confined to your email. You should see similar problems on MacOSX.com and other interactive sites. If the server has a lot of traffic, it may have trouble giving confirmation of your sent message. Again that is a network problem, not a local problem. From the sound of things, your web-based service has issues.

Back