Sendmail App

nmm88

Registered
Im trying to get used to using linux using an online tutorial and it askes me to work with the program called sendmail, which it says is stored in /etc/mail/. However this tutorial was written using Jaguar and Im assuming something changed from Jaguar to Panther. Anyone know where i can find the "sendmail" app?

Panther saw the introduction of postfix by apple. I think sendmail is still in there somewhere, but im not sure where.

Postfix comes with a binary named 'sendmail' which simulates the original sendmail's behavior. This is for compatibility reasons because many Un*x components require sendmail.

However, the files you would normally find below /etc/mail are the sendmail configuration files. Those are only present if you really have sendmail installed. With Panther they are not there because you run postfix, not sendmail (even if there is a sendmail 'simulator' this doesn't mean you have sendmail installed). Since postfix is configured in an entirely different way than sendmail, you should skip this section in your tutorial and better find another one which covers the postfix configuration.

Back