serial number

There's a serial number? How come I don't remember that part of the installation?

-jdog

it's a hidden feature. during startup you have to option-shift click the apple logo while holding down the X & P keys, then move the mouse to the upper right corner of the screen for 3 seconds, then move it away. A dialog will open asking for your serial #. enter it & you'll have extra Dock & Finder options, and a slight speed increase in Aqua. If no dialog appears, you probably left the mouse in the corner too long, and you have to go through the whole process again :(

Originally posted by endian
it's a hidden feature. during startup you have to option-shift click the apple logo while holding down the X & P keys, then move the mouse to the upper right corner of the screen for 3 seconds, then move it away. A dialog will open asking for your serial #. enter it & you'll have extra Dock & Finder options, and a slight speed increase in Aqua. If no dialog appears, you probably left the mouse in the corner too long, and you have to go through the whole process again :(

WOW, I just reinstalled X (using the reg key tip) and boy does it fly now. With all these extra features and this speed, who needs 10.1? :D

-jdog

It is true? Really there is that hidden feature?

And, there is no way to use it without reinstall OS X?

Actually, I have bought Mac OS X, but I didn't remember to have found any serial number. Now I get the box and try to find it :D

Thanks

how exactly do u do it?

when u start up from the install cd don't u have to hold down the c key?

and how do you click the apple logo while holding down option-shift-x-p ?

1. i need two hands to do that
2. there is no apple menu thingie on startup!

amd maybe i don't get this, do u do this step before the instalation? when uu boot from the install cd or after u just finished instalation and have to set up your os?

can someone please put a step by step instrunction on this thing? and what exactly are the extra options u get?

ps.

does this work on the 4k78 install cd?:confused:

Who can clearly explain ho to 'serialize' Mac OS X please?

Do I need to reinstall it?

When to hold down the keys?

Wich version should i use? 10.0 or 10.0.3 install cd?

TIA

Originally posted by Zeus
Who can clearly explain ho to 'serialize' Mac OS X please?

Do I need to reinstall it?

When to hold down the keys?

Wich version should i use? 10.0 or 10.0.3 install cd?

TIA

Answers in the order of questions.

I can.

Yes.

Just before the CD starts to spin. You have to time it just right.

The Windows XP version of MacOS X. You have to hold the keys to make it show its real face (otherwise you get the flying window instead of apple, and the bespoke dialog does not appear).

HTH

okay guys, somebody was having too much fun in inventing a smart response to the request for the serial number. I can assure you that entering a serial number at installation while holding a million keys and making your mouse do the macarena will not do a damn thing to your system. Dont be fooled, guys.

And shame on you who perpetuated this without eventually telling the interested users that you made it up.

Originally posted by Murderer909
okay guys, somebody was having too much fun in inventing a smart response to the request for the serial number. I can assure you that entering a serial number at installation while holding a million keys and making your mouse do the macarena will not do a damn thing to your system. Dont be fooled, guys.

And shame on you who perpetuated this without eventually telling the interested users that you made it up.

Anyone who couldn't tell it was a joke deserved to be fooled ;-)

was that he mistook the area to enter a password as an area to enter a serial number. This is not the first time I have seen this happen, it is a common mistake for people who have used/installed Windows systems in the past, or Mac users who have never had to think about adding a password to their systems before.

Back