Serious Finder problems...

Legolas

Registered
First things first- I attempted to use MetamorphX in Jaguar, which was a complete and utter disaster. No login screen, no nothing. I salvaged the situation by replacing the corrupted system files, and I can now log in and use Mac OS X, with one glaring omission- the Finder refuses to load, or do anything. When I log in, I am presented with a Dock. The Finder will not load, although im using IE right now... anybody know whats going on?

Have you tried "process Viewer" from Utilities to see if Finder is running? If not, sounds VERY bad. You could try Pacifist to grab Finder off your OS X CD, but it really sounds like a complete re-install would be better.

I reinstalled Jaguar, and its running fine now. The Finder was completely gone... it would occasionally seem to attempt to launch itself, and then fail (i could watch it in the "force quit" menu).

a word to the wise- unless you are the master of OS X, or god himself, do NOT mess with MetamorphX!

I second that notion. Duality gave me some pretty wicked problems when I tried to revert to Aqua.

Programs like that always put you and your OS on the edge of a knife. It's not really smart to play around like that, because everyonce in a while the knife will ether cut you or you'll fall off. :D

its because you were using an 10.1.x theme, one of the sites had a theme-updater to make them 10.2 compatible. but you need a 10.2 themer also.

The newest duality software is avaible which works with 10.2, but Jaguar themes are limited so far. You must make sure they are jaguar compatible themes. The brushed theme works on Jaguar, however, which is a more popular one.

I think i'll risk it, I'm in a skinning sort of mood... are they over at resexcellence, or someplace else?

I just get my stuff at macmotiva... check iconfactory.com they tell you when new themes arrive for many sites.

Back