Serious font issue

jeno

Registered
Hi All,

I encounter some serious font issue with PC TrueType fonts and some OpenType fonts.

I copied those fonts to my desktop, as soon i finished copying, an error massage pop up saying that "Bad Fonts Fond....Please quit all application and remove bad fonts....."

I dint put those fonts into system or any font management application and i dint even used it, it just reported "Bad Font" randomly as soon as i copied it into my workstation.

I have clean fonts caches, repair permission ......etc but dint help
I have repaired those fonts using Font Doctor and other similar software and fond nothing wrong with it.

I was wondering, PC TrueType Font & OpenType font should working on Mac OS x 10.4.9 ?

How to i fix it? or am i missing something else?

Thanks

I have clean fonts caches, repair permission ......etc but dint help
I have repaired those fonts using Font Doctor and other similar software and fond nothing wrong with it.

I was wondering, PC TrueType Font & OpenType font should working on Mac OS x 10.4.9 ?

How to i fix it? or am i missing something else?

Thanks
You seem to be more interested in proving that your fonts are not damaged than you are in repairing the damage. Windows-format TrueType and OpenType fonts work in MacOS X out-of-the-box. However, you have not given the origins of your problematic fonts. Therefore, we can't even guess whether or not your font problems are due to problematic origins or your attempt to copy them to your Mac.

If these fonts are available online, then it is better to download them directly to your Mac. FontBook includes the ability to perform minor repairs. Use it. Also, it is not clear if you "repaired" your fonts with the MacOS X or the Windows version of Font Doctor. Use Font Doctor X.

sorry for sound so confusing.
here is the error massage i received:

ATS.framework/Support/ATSServer: ********* Bad Font Detected *********
Apr 25 14:18:23 PR-MC-P520 /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Frameworks/ATS.framework/Support/ATSServer: A problem has been detected with the font YoonGothic105_otf 35, in the font file /Users/pa_p520/Library/Fonts/MSS/Yoon 1/YoonGothic135.otf. The system will attempt to disable this font, but to avoid future problems, you should quit all of your open applications and remove this font file or replace it with a new version.

You misunderstood. I did not doubt that you received an error message. This post only comfirmed something that was not at issue. I presume that the problematic font is a non-Latin font. This does nothing to solve your problem. Like I said in my previous post, download the font from its source directly to your Mac.

Thanks for the advice, i will try get it from the source again.

does non-Latin / non-roman font always cause issue to Mac OS X and other application running on it?

I have deal with some Chinese/Korea/Japaneses/Middle East font lately, they all drive me crazy !

Is there any reason YoonGothic is in your System/Library/Fonts folder? I don't recognize that as an official Apple font. Apple Gothic Li is one (or something like that) but I've never seen YoonGothic in a System folder on a clean install. Take it out of your System/Library/Fonts folder, and put it in Users/Library/Fonts. As a rule you shouldn't really add stuff to the System Fonts folder. Don't go messing around too much in that folder though, you can break the system. Extensis has a pretty good white paper on having a lean font structure with minimal conflicts. I think it's called "Best font practices in OS X."

Oops! I misread your earlier post thinking that font was in the System Folder. on reread, I realized that it is indeed in your user/library. Still, following the Extensis guide has really cleared up font issues on a regular basis for me...

First, download http://www.linotype.com/fontexplorer and run it. Dump Extensis as soon as you can. Then go to Tools/Clean System Fonts and it will make sure only your system fonts are in that folder (System/Fonts).

Then move all your fonts to a folder named MY FONTS (or whatever you can remember) inside your hard drive and add those fonts to FE. I find once I minimize the fonts in my system folder things just seem to clear up.

i did try Linotype FontExplorer, great job for cleaning caches and system fonts, but my question is, does non-Latin font cause issue to Mac OS X?

even i have used Linotype FontExplorer, some non-Latin font still cause issue to the system or application.

Hi,

I dint used macdisk but found a software called "CrossFont" on the macdisk website. It runs on windows system. Its a small software but allow conversion to many kind of font type. This probably the best font conversion i ever used.

http://www.asy.com/

Unfortunately, some glyph for certain font does not get converted completely. I understand that no conversion is perfect and that probably that biggest ever.

TT Converter runs on OS 9 classic with only limited conversion.

Back