serious help choosing (cinema) display for my G5..

alexandr said:
great! thanks alot Lt Major Burns / Ceroc Addict.

anyway, i just went ahead an had my father place an order of the 23", all through his firm, meaning I save 23% off the price. norwegian tax'es are quite steap, i know ;)

anyway. question now is, since the new powerMac rev isn't out yet, i still have to struggle with my G3 iBook. will this work at all, or am i stuck with an unusable display until i buy my G5??? :)

ordered an iSight aswell.

thanks alot for all help, comments and thoughts!

alex.

Well I personally think it WILL work, but it won't be happy. Especially on screen-spanning mode :p. That means your G3's poor little video card has to stretch its VRAM over that many million pixels more that it's realistically designed to.

It should be OK, but Quartz effects (Exposé, the Dock, etc, etc) will be much slower.

You might have to bite the bullet and just run the 23 inch display on its own, save the poor video card.

But it's worth a try, regardless; it's not going to hurt anything. One thing you will need, though, is an adapter to make the Mini-VGA port go to DVI (I THINK you have mini-VGA). That also means that you won't get digital quality that you get from DVI at both ends (like in the G5 and PowerBooks).

texanpenguin said:
You might have to bite the bullet and just run the 23 inch display on its own, save the poor video card.

run the display on its own?!?

well i could do that, but a black screen isn't very interessting to watch ;)

(clearly i'm not getting what you mean by "running the screen on it own", or you haven't realised that my G3 iBook is my only computer at the moment..)

alex.

i think he means instead of using it in conjunction with the ibooks built in screen?

mirror mode, you mean? no worries, if it works fine that way, i will be all smiles! :)
the 23" will offer me much more space than i currently work with anyway, regardless of mirrored/split-mode..

alex.

I am in a very similar purchasing dilemma. I currently have dual 21" trinitron monitors but one of them is starting to die, I have tried messing all around with the controls but it is very noticeably poorer picture then the other. I think i will bit the bullet for new montior(s) but unsure if I could handle a single 23" or go to the dual 20"s. I am a graphic designer and very much use the real-estate of dual monitors. I have the second screen for documents, emails or roughs and work on the main.
going to one monitor will definitely take some adjusting to my workflow.

I am also not sold on the image quality on the LCDs. I do really like the image quality on well my one monitor. does this just take some getting used to? I suppose I could always get the 23" and then pick up a cheap 17" for supplemental info

image quality is now superoir on LCD - viewing angles and response times have been completely ironed out, and are unnoticable.

one thing you will notice is the clarity - in it's native resolution (LCD's have one resolution, the native - all others are emulated, and as such, look fuzzy) each pixel is perfect - it is a pixel, right there, not projected down a tube and then focussed on a bastard-thick lens (the screen on CRT)

everything is so much clearer on LCD

i am sorry to bother you again, but i need some simple help(or maybe not so simple, at least not for me)

can someone please point me in the direction of an adapter wich will help me get my new Apple Display to show my iBook G3 desktop. right now i use a mini-VGA -> VGA(female)-adapter (i'm not sure this is the name) to connect my old CRT.
as Texanpenguin posted earlier i need that mini-VGA-port to go DVI, but i cant seem to find the appropriate adapter..

please, if someone now a site or manufacturer your two cents will be deeply valued ;)

alex.

All I can say is I love my new 20" Cinema Display - I really wish I could've landed the 23" but I really love this monitor. I'm using the AlchemyTV card as well, but no for fullscreen viewing, mostly some DVR and watching some late night tv in a little window while I work. I have to say I'm really impressed with the quality of the monitor - the color, the crispness of the display. The amount of deskspace I've saved is obscene - my keyboard now sits a good length away allowing me to slightly rest my arms on my desk and monitor is setting way back as well. I can actually use my screen and keep in an arms length away whereas before with my two CRTs my nose was practically in my monitor(s). I was using a 19" and a 17" and don't regret giving up the second monitor at all - something that has really suprised me.

yeah my 20" is always arms legth since i got it. my old CRT's were so crap - i use my parents computer now and it's so fuzzy and, unfocussed - the screen is only about 18months old, and i thought it was a good crt then...

I ::love:: my 20" Cinema Display, which was Designed by Apple in California

Back