Serious OS X bug: Doesn't recognize users

genecutl

Registered
I've just started experiencing a strange and serious bug.

When I came to my computer yesterday and tried to use the Terminal, it asked me for my password instead of just starting a session. When I entered my password, it didn't recognize it. I tried changing the password in the Users preference panel, in the NetInfo Manager, and also creating a new user. Neither the new password nor the new user login/password worked either. But it did recognize my password when I clicked the lock in both of those programs so that I could make changes.

I tried logging out of the entire session, but it wouldn't let me log back in. A system restart put it back to normal. The same thing happened again later that day. That time I already had a terminal window open. Playing around there, I found that it didn't know who I was. It just returned my user id (501) instead of my user name to 'whoami' queries, and wouldn't let me ssh because it didn't know who I was. I double checked NetInfo Manager again, and it did have my name and user id in there correctly. I restarted again, (this time first running fsck in single user mode).

This morning, it happened again. This time I noticed that while it was happening, my web browsers weren't able to make dns queries (I would get host not found messages), even though I could run nslookup from the command line.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on?

Back