Serious printer problems with Classic

linguist1

Registered
I *used* to be able to print fine from Classic apps (directly, just by clicking on the Print button). Then, I tried installing a PDF writer for Classic on my laptop (PowerBook G4 with Mac OS X 10.4.2), and suddenly I was

1. only able to print ONE copy of a document, no matter how many copies I spooled over. Then, the problem got worse:

2. Now, I am no longer able to print *anything* from *any* Classic application. The job just gets "dumped": if I open the printer up in OS X, it doesn't even show a pending job.

My printers are hooked up directly to my computer via USB. I have two printers (Samsung 1250 and HP Deskjet 460). I can't print from either in Classic. I've tried downloading new drivers, but that doesn't work. The HP Deskjet doesn't even have an OS 9 driver, but the point is that it *used* to work fine printing directly from Classic, no problem.

The printers no longer appear in the Chooser.

I've even tried reinstalling both OS X and Classic systems *three* times (not just on top of the old ones, but wiping out everything on my computer), and nothing works. I've reinstalled the Classic apps and the printer drivers afterwards, of course.

Thanks, but--actually, it was EXACTLY after I installed "Print to PDF" from jwwalker that my printing capabilities went haywire!! I used to be able to print fine from Classic, but after I tried getting PDF capabilities for my Classic apps, I stopped being able to print (see my first posting)....

Well, disable Print to PDF. Using the Apple Printer Utility-PPC, install a Virtual Printer. This will allow you to print any job to a PostScript file. You can then open the PostScript file in Preview from which you may print it or which allows you to save it as PDF.

Back