Serve SSH from MacOS X

Whitehill

Registered
For years my router has been configured to direct SSH traffic on port 22 from the outside into my private network, to a machine running Solaris 8. No problems. I want to make one of my Macs the server. So ...

I enabled remote login on the sharing panel of the network system pref (actually I had already done this for logins from my network - all OK) and then reconfigured the router to point to the Mac. Incoming traffic justs drops dead!? No messages, just ... nothing.

This Mac has been serving HTTP (port 80) just fine for years. Do I have to do anything else for SSH?

MacOS X 10.3.9 on iMac
Cisco 1720 Router

The sshd daemon isn't always running, it's brought up on demand. It could be that the router is timing out waiting for it to respond.

Darkshadow said:
The sshd daemon isn't always running, it's brought up on demand. It could be that the router is timing out waiting for it to respond.
The system log shows xinetd starting sshd in response to internal requests:
Jul 24 05:57:27 Titan xinetd[314]: START: ssh pid=2758 from=10.0.1.51
Jul 24 05:57:31 Titan sshd[2758]: Accepted password for leblanc from 10.0.1.51 port 50096​
but nothing comparable for outside requests. To test your assertion, how do I start sshd outside of xinetd and keep it running?

Back