Server 10.4 Imaging

rapc

Registered
I have made a bunch of netboot images that work just fine. But one when you are imaging the machine you can look at the log there is a lot od dialog that goes all the way down the page then at the bottom you can see a progress indicator
10...20...30 etc it moves very fast. The other I have made you open the log to see the progress
there a 4 lines of dialog.... validating sizes
checking... erasing.... restoring...
10...20...30 etc. Why is one have different logging and much faster at a restore? I also have an g5 with an 20gig image that i need to create a restore image with I have tried to make a netboot
image and it seems to copy fine everything in the image log looks correct and image completes without error. Every machine I try it on fails? can someone please help me with these issue's?
I have read every inch of the guides and manuals
websites etc... I am at a loss
thanks

I've seen some oddities when using machine specific media, even if you are deploying back to that same class of machine. Actually had it stall out a couple thousand machines I was working on once, despite it working in the past. Maybe try starting on a new partition with the general Tiger media, that comes boxed, instead of the PowerMac G5 media that came with the tower.

A quick way to test this would be to create a netboot image out of the Tiger media DVD and see if that netboots to one of your test desktops.

Back