Server could not be found - wireless

jamesjudson

Registered
Can anyone help?

I'm tryin got connect to our wireless network at home via my airport card but although I have full signal, this is the message I get "Server could not be found" when I open up my internet browser :mad:

My flat mate is running OS X and can connect no problem. I've checked all the settings I can think of to see if they're the same and can't see anything amiss. ANY SUGGESTIONS WELCOMED!

:D

I am having the same problem with my brand new iBook G4 with OSX 10.4.2

I have a 2 Windows systems connected to my WLAN and have no problems.

The iBook can log in to the network but cannot get a connection to the internet. ON top of that, as soon as I activate AirPort, my Windows systems lose the internet connection, and to reconnect, I have to reboot the router nd disable AirPort.

Very disappointed... after mulling over it for so long, I finally got my first Apple, looking forward to avoiding the problems I've had with Windows... and I've spent hours trying to figure out this internet situation, which the sales rep told me was "fool-proof".

Well, after doing some research, I found a solution. But not sure if it is a really good one.

Anyway, what I ended up doing was entering my ISP's DNS servers in the configuration menu for AirPort. I found lots of people complaining about this problem on several forums but no real solutions. Here is the article I found concerning the problem:

Connection Failure

And here's what I did to solve the problem:

Enter DNS Address

So now I'm able to load pages with both the Mac and the PCs. But I'm not sure if this is really a good solution to the problem... am I going to have to enter DNS server names whenever we travel and want to use WiFi somewhere else? And why was this problem causing my router to reset or crash or whatever?

I'm still a bit skeptical now about this notebook... I thought getting an Apple would help me avoid those long nights searching web forums to find solutions to weird problems, and that's what I spent last night doing... We still have 13 days to return the notebook... what to do, what to do?

Back