server freezing sporadically

davidhoare

Registered
My os x server (10.4.11 G5 ppc) has started sporadically freezing for 'brief' (15sec to a minute) periods. This happens every 5 to 10 minutes, but with no regularity... At these times, I see the spinning pinwheel and, though the application windows can still be moved around, none are activating/updating (including, unfortunately, the terminal or activity monitor, so I'm having a hard time deducing what's causing the freeze.)
I have ~30 emacs & imacs of various types connected to this server, which is the PDC for our network as well as the file and web server. No windows machines on the network.
When a freeze occurs, each of the clients connected to the server also freeze, though there is no apparent network conflict, as other machines (not authenticated to the server) continue to be able to use the network fine to access the internet... Sometimes the client machines recover when the server does, sometimes they do not, and must be turned off manually (can't even force-quit anything)

here's the big problem. I don't have a backup of the server more than a couple days old, and that doesn't take us back to before the problem started. So I cannot restore to a previous 'working' system.
And, of course, by apple system care ran out a couple years ago...

I'm not yet willing to rebuild from scratch...(!!!)... So - - how do I troubleshoot whether this is an application / system / hardware / network issue?

I'd start with checking the temperatures. Sporadically hangups and such errors usually occurs when a component (like the cpu or a harddrive) is overheated.

Back