Server set up for Dummies?

WingShooter

Registered
I am a novice with Mac Server, but experienced as a Mac desktop/laptop user with OS X.

I have 5 Mac's currently operating on my home network, and have a spare G4 with about 300 GB of disk available, as well as a registered copy of OSX Server 10.3, that I would like to use as a Server on my network.

My primary use for this configuration at this stage would be to provide a stable and reliable backup configuration for all of my machines to the server, and move away from individual Firewire drives that currently serve that purpose.

I am interested in knowing if there are any tutorials available for novices like myself that provide step by step actions required to install and configure a OS X server to provide the limited support for backups that I am looking to create?

Any advice or help appreciated.

Thanks

WingShooter

Well, you could look at the documentation on Apple.com, but if your looking for a quick and dirty way to replicate all of your home directory information to the server, look into upgrading to Tiger over Panther, since that will include portable home directories.

Otherwise, you'd be looking at network homes, which won't jive with portables or being away from the network all to great. If you are planning on just scripting a synchronization solution, you could just user Client then :)

Michael

Michael,

thanks for the response. I've spent some amount of time reading the apple doc's and I think that it's a foregone conclusion that they wrote those with the assumption that the reader had basic System Administration background or experience with UNIX or OS X, which I can assure you I do not.

That said the suggestion to move up to Tiger is likely a good one given my application for the server as it should simplify what I need to accomplish.

Thanks for taking the time to provide the feedback.

WingShooter

I have not made any progress with this project since my post. Time and work related - no other reasons.

I expect to have a bit of time coming up over this next weekend that I likely will devote to looking at this in more detail. Any suggestions or advice are appreciated.

WingShooter

Back