"Services" submenu...

brianleahy

Colonel Panic
Does anyone actually (successfully) use the (appMenu)/Services/... submenu? It looks like SOME of the choices become active in cocoa apps when some text is selected --- but that's it.

"Grab" never seems to un-dim. There are times it'd be great to go (for instance) Netscape/Services/Grab/Window --- but everything under Grab is always dimmed -- even in Apple-provided cocoa apps.

Am I doing something wrong? Anyone got a suggestion?

Why use Grab when you can just press command-shift-3 for a whole screen shot or command-shift-4 to select a portion of the screen to capture? They [the services] only work in cocoa based apps if I remember correctly. I've never really tried them myself though...

I didn't know about those keyboard shortcuts - thanks. Makes me wonder why they still provide Grab, actually.

Anyway, the services menu seems like a good idea, really -- easier than remembering a rarely-used key combo. Pity it so seldom works...

Originally posted by brianleahy
I didn't know about those keyboard shortcuts - thanks.
There's also cmd-shift-4 then hit spacebar, that'll turn into a "camera" cursor and highlight the foremost window. If you click the mouse button now, it'll take a shot of that window. If you move your cursor over another window, that window will highlight, click your mouse and take a screenshot of that window. It'll probably make more sense when you see it. (This is for 10.2.x only, btw)

Originally posted by kommakazi
[the services] only work in cocoa based apps if I remember correctly. I've never really tried them myself though...
Services work in all Cocoa applications that use the standard NS object classes (NextStep objects), and all Carbon applications that explicitly tell the OS that the application can support services. I'm working on a Carbon-based inline calculator app that makes full use of Services, for example.

I've never used it once! It would be nice if I could customize it though. How do you edit what's in the list?

Back