services? what are they...

iguy1

Registered
and how and when do I use them? They show up in the drop down menus with different apps... I am sure they are useful ( to those that know how to use them). thanks

Mike

Services are a kind of plug-in facility which can perform operations offered by a second app within the currently operating application.

For example, I use TextSoap which has a sophisticated method of providing services. I can create a link, smarten quotes (“smart”) and so on. I have one shortcut defined which looks for extra spaces between words and smartens quotes at the same time. I also have one which quickly sets up link code. Nice for posting to boards like this.

Not every app supports services, it has to be Cocoa friendly. Firefox does not support services while Safari and Camino do.

Look into Service Scrubber which allows one to manage which Services are enabled.

http://www.manytricks.com/servicescrubber/

one very interesting example of a 'service' is one that's called "Summary"

just visit a webpage with a large text-body, select the whole page (command+A) and choose "Summary"

can be quite helpfull..

one very interesting example of a 'service' is one that's called "Summary"

just visit a webpage with a large text-body, select the whole page (command+A) and choose "Summary"

can be quite helpfull..
Even more useful is ToFu ( http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/12575/tofu ). It's a free standing app but it also provides a Services Menu "View in ToFu" item.

Great for reading large blocks of text on web pages. Select the text and then choose the ToFu option from the Services Menu.

Um, a bit of a warning on ServiceScrubber and Mail passwords ... long thread on Apple Discussions, my personal upshot on a new MacBook Pro is, I'll be damned, SS does cause some or all Mail accounts passwords to never, ever stick.

Solution has been Pacifist and a fresh copy of Mail off the Leopard DVD ... tested it several times, because SS is one terrific little app.

Back