Services

Daeyin

Registered
Why don't more apps use the "services" feature found under AppName>Services?

I never noticed how nice it is in stickes to have this feature.

Also, anyone know how to edit this menu? I don't want Quake to have an entry anymore.

:confused:

Currently only Cocoa apps can share services, but the fact that ALL OS X native apps seem to have the services submenu makes me believe that Apple is working on making it compatible for both Carbon and Cocoa based apps.

As for removing pointless additions to the menu... I haven't looked into it enough to know how (sorry :( ). Maybe some one else can help.

Actually, more recent Carbon apps do have the ability to use Services. I believe this is called the "Mach-O" Carbon APIs. Not sure, though, but I'm 99.99% positive that if you use the new Carbon APIs, you can use services in Carbon applications. But it is still true that most applications that can actually use services are Cocoa applications.

To modify the services menu, just move the application out of
/Applications or ~/Applications (Applications folder inside your User folder -- not created by default), and then it's Service menu will disappear. So far, that's the only way I know to "Edit" it. However, it seems like it wouldn't be that much of a problem, because you just create a "Games" folder instead, and drop Quake in there. (Surely you don't see Quake as a PRODUCTIVE application?! :D -- Plus, Escape Velocity kicks the ass out of any Quake-based game)

So, how do I get this Service thing to work?
No matter in which Application I tried, everything inside the Services->AppMenus is inactive (greyed out).
:confused:

First, start up a Cocoa program, such as TextEdit, or my favorite, OmniWeb. Then highlight some text. Then go to Services and see what you can do with it.

Back