Setting a default standalone flash player

doofmunch

Registered
Ok, I have been trying to fix this problem for a long time now and for the life of me can't figure it out. Basically on windows when you open a .swf file (the type of flash file that is the movie that can be played, not worked on), it opens in a standalone flash player; an application that is just a window that plays a flash movie. On OSX, I have macromedia flash mx installed. I also have a standalone flash player in my applications folder. The problem is that my .swf files are opened with Flash MX by default. I want to set all .swf files to be opened with the standalone player, because Flash MX is not a player at all, infact it usually screws up the movies in terms of playing if you open them in the flash application, because they are meant to be opened with a player. (.fla files are the ones that the flash application works on, .swf is the playable type). When I view a flash movie within a browser it plays fine, but I don't want to have to open all my flash videos in a browser. I can set .swf's to always be opened with the standalone player I have, but that only makes it so that specific .swf file is opened with the standalone player, and all other .swf's are still opened with flash MX. I've been looking into it and I think it might have something to do with application binding, which seemed pretty complicated. Anyways basically as far as I can understand Mac makes it really hard to change default applications, so that filetypes can't be hijacked by a specific application. Thats great for security, but it makes it a pain in the ass to try and switch default players :mad: . Is there an easy (or not so easy) way to change this? I'm pretty computer savy so I can usually figure things out like this but its harder for me to do stuff like this on a mac (ironic because macs are supposed to be so user friendly).

Its shouldn't be so hard. With most files you select them and do File>Get Info, select the application you want from the 'open with' panel near the bottom, and click 'Change All...", which shoudl make all you .swf files open in the player. Have you already done this?

No problem, there are lots of little pitfalls when you switch from WIndows (which it sounds like you've done recently). I find Macs user friendly for the most part, but as with all systems, it takes a while to get used to it enough to be able to predict or learn where things will be.

If you have any other questions I'm sure someone round here will be able to help, and welcome to the board! :)

Back