Setting "open with" default programs from Mail

Jaws Bond

Registered
Hi - I'm wondering if anyone might know the answer to this because I'm completely stuck :) Before upgrading to Mavericks I was able to right click an attached image in mail and select "open with" > "photoshop". Since upgrading however now the only option I get is to open with preview. I've search everywhere including all over google but can't seem to find a way to do it.

Hoping someone here might have an idea?

Thanks for any help.

Chris

Since upgrading however now the only option I get is to open with preview. I've search everywhere including all over google but can't seem to find a way to do it.

Hoping someone here might have an idea?

Thanks for any help.

Chris
I just tried your problem in Maverick Mail, and I still have the option, along with 'Preview' to open the image with other software, including the most useful 'Other' option.

Have you opened PhotoShop since your upgrade? Once you open it (if anything else, just to see if it starts up smoothly and can open an image that is already on your computer), quit it.
Now you should see the option of opening an image with PhotoShop in your control menu.

If Preview is the only app that shows up, check the file name. If it was sent to you as a .pdf, you will only have Preview as an option.

Hey thanks for that. Yeah i've been using photoshop happily for a couple of weeks and that all works fine. Just the option to open it from mail has gone. The only solution I've found is to drag the image on to the photoshop icon on the dock. It's not as good but works for now I guess.

I have to wonder if one of the various utilities that 'Resets the Launch Services database' which is commonly used to correct contextual menus errors might help with your issue?

I have to wonder if one of the various utilities that 'Resets the Launch Services database' which is commonly used to correct contextual menus errors might help with your issue?

Hmm ok that gives me something to go on thanks. I've tried resetting launch services but that didn't work but I'm guessing it might have something to do with that then. Everything works as expected outside of mail just not in mail. Strange. I wonder if reinstalling photoshop would sort it? Might give that a shot when i have some time.

Thanks for the advice!

Back