Setting up OS X

FrankH

Registered
Hi everyone,

I just completly reinstalled OS X with an additional 512 MB modul (I now have 704 MB on my machine) and HPS+ instead of UFS.

Well, I must say, it is damn fast !!! :D
I just couldn't believe it. Even after the installation of 10.0 I was impressed because it was so much faster than before (I mean, 10.1. with 192 MB of RAM), but after 10.1. I thought "wow, that can't be ..." :D

Now I did all the necessary software updates and my system seems to run stable and multi-tasking performs perfectly (never saw a system that was able to handle it that good).

BTW, I had some difficulties in installing OS X. After I updated to 10.1.3 (it left out 10.1.2, I don't know why) and wanted to restart OS X wasn't able to do so because mail.app didn't quit (this problem remained). :mad: Then I tried to do it manually by "shooting" it up, but this wasn't successful. In the end I had to turn my Mac off and boot because OS X did some very interesting things (like launching the Finder several times). Fortunately, Disk repair was able to repair my OS X volume after restart (it recognized an invalid BTree Header, some minor problems and problems with the bit map).
I guess that HFS+ is a bit bug-sensitiv, on my older system configuration where I had UFS installed, I never noticed such things. Problems only accured with HFS+. (but UFS isn't the best choiche either, for it is quite slow)
Has anyone experienced similiar things while the installation?

Nevertheless, OS X really runs fine. I am planning to use it for software development and this is really something you can work with! :)

Frank

Originally posted by FrankH
...BTW, I had some difficulties in installing OS X. After I updated to 10.1.3 (it left out 10.1.2, I don't know why)...
Because when you used either Software up date or the manual update of 10.1.3 you (or the Software Update) used the combo package which bypasses installation of X 10.1.2 in hopes os reaching 10.1.3, though you should have used the combo package to 10.1.4 but well you must have wanted 10.1.3 (to each their own)

As for drive set ups, UFS for a Mac OS X never was recommended ;)

I don't believe they have combo 10.1.4 yet.. I may be wrong, but I've never seen it in Software Update yet.

Back