Setting up Panther on an Erased Harddisk

heralva

Registered
I have a problem, I tried my old 10.3.9 panther to 10.4 tiger via XpostFacto. After succesful update i made a software update ending in a stuckup apple icon in the middle w/o a spinning gear in the middle so I booted on the CD and erased my harddisk, I recently borowed a Panther cd from my friend and booted while holding C but it only displays a Folder with mac face blinking alternately with a question mark. I tried to borrow my friend's mac OS 9 and booted up while holding C now the Display is light gray with a diskette and a blinking question mark in the Middle. Pls help me what do I need in order to setup my Panther on my G3 iMac 233. Im so tired of looking for solutions.

It sounds like your Mac can't read the install disc for some reason. What model Mac do you have and does it have a DVD-Rom drive?

Assuming your friend has a Mac also, and both Macs have firewire, you could use target disk mode and a firewire cable to install the operating system back onto your own Mac.
- Boot your own mac in target disk mode by holding "T" during startup.
- Load the install CD/DVD into your friends Mac and boot from it by holding "C" during startup.
- Run the installer, making sure to select to install to your own wiped drive and not your friends computer at the "select destination" screen.

This might seem like an awkward way to do things, but picking up a $3-5 firewire cable and learning to work this way will let you pull off all kinds of feats of rescuing files from a stuffed computer or installing onto a machine with a broken drive.

I manage to install OS 9 and when i Try to install Panther it says when I Click restart "Startup Disk was unable to select the install CD as the Startup Disk.(-2)"
WHat must I do? Please Help

Back