setting up samba server on os 10.6.3

otak

Registered
Hi
I want to set up a SAMBA server on my macbook so that my other machines can access files/directories on it via my router.Is it possible to write an smb.conf then go into system preferences to enable filesharing instead of doing all the configuration in system preferences?.The configuration i want to do in smb.conf instead of all the configuration being done in system preferences so i can understand the security that i'm configuring.
Also after writing smb.conf can the passwords be set in system preferences or is it best to use smbpasswd?.When should one use the directive passwd backend = tdbsam in smb.conf?.If i set the filesharing up all in system preferences would tdbsam be used as the password backend?
I know that these are quite a lot of questions.I just couldn't find the answers in google etc and i've only had the mac for a few days.Having a GUI to set up a networking daemon is confusing me because i don't know if some parts of the set up can be done "manually" and the rest done in the GUI or if it has to be one way or the other!
Thank you very much for any replies
regards otak

Sorry ignore that post.I realise that you are supposed to do all of the configuration in system preferences, in os 10.6.1.I'm sorry i didn't realise this before, silly me.Thank you for the reply though
regards otak

Back