Setting up server on balcony

legacyb4

Registered
Does anyone here run any computer/server equipment *not* inside the house?

I'm in a one bedroom with a reasonably large balcony on the 21st floor and tossing the idea around of storing my file server on the balcony in a weather-proofed box of some sort.

It's reasonably protected from the environment (no direct sunlight, rain never reaches the inside of the balcony, and weather year round is cool to cold). I've also have a power outlet on the balcony so I was thinking of sticking a spare Airport card in my aging G4 and parking it out there on the balcony because the sound of the fan drives me nuts.

Just a crazy thought...

Well as I write this, I'm on my G4 iBook on my balcony (watching the rain). The thing I'd be most concerned about is the fluctuation of temperatures. Unless it's only a couple of degrees at most, it would likely stress the system aned shorten its lifetime.

legacyb4 said:
I'm in a one bedroom with a reasonably large balcony on the 21st floor and tossing the idea around of storing my file server on the balcony in a weather-proofed box of some sort.
And how is the air supposed to cool the Baby? Am just asking, since I was thinking of such a thing as well. But if I put it in a box protecting it from rain, direct sun and bugs, I won't have a suitable cooling..

I was thinking of venting the box at top and bottom and letting convection do its job (almost like a giant iMac). Up this high, there's a reasonably good breeze moving constantly so I think I would be okay. If anything, a slightly enclosed structure would probably keep temperatures semi-stable as outside temps are right now between 1-10 Celsius.

Didn't think about bugs of the physical type, but I guess that could be avoided with screens over the vent holes.

Cheers.

Zammy-Sam said:
And how is the air supposed to cool the Baby? Am just asking, since I was thinking of such a thing as well. But if I put it in a box protecting it from rain, direct sun and bugs, I won't have a suitable cooling..

Beware of those theives with really tall ladders.....but you know, it would work...you don't need a HUGE amount of ventilation...but i would be worried about dust, but you can get filters for that. The temperatures would be the biggest deal...i wouldn't want it any colder than 30 degrees F or higher than about 75F...just a thought. Colder is better in this case...but "cool" would be optimal :confused:

Back