Setting User limitations for Disk Usage

aaike

bacteria-troubled-brain
I don't know if this feature is already in Panther or not, but I'd loved to see a feature to restrict certain users disk usage... According to me that would fit perfectly in the accounts prefspane! (And if I am not mistaken you can do this the UNIX way in the terminal and probably also in the netinfomanager ?)

I'll give a small example: I made a guest account on my tower while away for two months, when I got back I noticed that the HD was completely full... what happened? An unaware computer user tried to open an internetstream, iTunes launched, but since it was the first launch iTunes provided him with some licence agreements and the possibility to look at the HD for music. Not interested in reading all those stuff, the user hit enter for a couple of times. The music on my shared partition (around 20Gb) started copying until my HD was completely full, which made the Mac almost unusable! And I can tell you that it took me some time to figure out where the disk space was gone...

I don't think it's in Panther, but yes, you can do it via the terminal and disk quotas. That would be a great feature to have for sure.

Back