Setup PHP & MySQL

esteban

Registered
Back in 2002, I discovered, someone named Yoshi did a wonderful posting, listing instructions for setting up PHP nd MySQL for Mac OSX. At that time, there was PHP4. I presume MySQL was also an older version.

Have those instructions been updated any since then? I'm not looking to install on an Intel Mac, but a G5 running OS 10.4.8. I would like to install the latest versions of PHP, MySQL, and phpMyAdmin that will run on my set-up.

Thank you.

MAMP is really only for testing purposes not really for production use. You have to have the application open all the time it seems otherwise MySQL doesn't work from what I remember.

The easiest thing to do is go here for php
http://www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/php/

Download MySQL from mysql.com and the configuration isn't really any different than it used to be. You just basically install it and you have to change the root password and create users, tables, etc. For that I found a GUI program that connects to the database so you don't have to use any command line tools. The one I use is Aqua Data Studio.

Can you elaborate on your comments re MAMP? .... testing vs production. I'm using it on my laptop to develop sites and it's a great solution. The app lets you turn Apache or Mysql or both on/off at any time

From what I remember it doesn't automatically start on boot. So you have to manually go and start it every time. That alone is not good for production environments because if you're not there when your computer boots back up due to power failure or something then you're out of luck.

I believe it used to say this on the MAMP website but it doesn't say that anymore that I can see. They might have changed it since I last used it, and perhaps it does now start automatically.

Back