Several Questions on OS 10.1.5 upgrade with Beige..

Gunk

Registered
I have an upgraded Beige G3 266 mghtz...now a G4 533 mhtz 768 RAM, 32 mb ATI video card and a 40 gig HD. (Please note: I have no cd burner, if anyone knows of a burner that works on a upgraded beige under 150.00 USD, please tell me!)

Now, here's the deal...

...I have OS 10.1.5 (with a copy of OS 9.2.2) on the first 8 gigs of the HD.

...I have the original 9.2.2 on the remaining 30 or so gigs on the HD.

#1. I wish to upgrade the OS X partition to Jag. How do I upgrade without losing any info on the OSX partition.

#2. I wish to increase the size of OS X (I only have 1.25 gig left on OS X) before or after the upgrade WITHOUT losing the OS 9.2.2 on the other partition?

My thoughts on a possible solution/answer---
I know it is possible to copy over the entire HD on the Biege desktop just by dragging the icon to another HD alias on the desktop. Is this possible with OS 10.1.5?
Meaning -
-buy a new HD,
-connect in place of the CD burner (I have done this whilst replacing the -original HD - it's a issue specific to beige),
-copy both partitions ( OS 9 and OS X ),
-wipe the old drive,
-repartition,
-recopy both OS's to the seperate but equal partitons,
THEN upgrade the OS X partition with Jag?

Thanks, in advance, for any help possible.
david

cd burner: Two choices. Get a firewire card, or loose the ability to boot. I suppose you could find an Apple cd burner on ebay. If you're willing to part with cd booting, then any IDE burner should work.
If you are using a tower, not the desktop, you could consider making that new drive an internal SCSI drive, thus freeing an IDE bus for use with an internal ATAPI CD burner. (If you're in the desktop, you might consider the internal SCSI drive anyway, since you could keep your old IDE disk and have an OSX boot volume larger than 8GB, there being no such limitation on SCSI drives.

Drive backup: Basically, you can't do the "drag the drive" thing on OSX and end up with a bootable copy. You need to use a tool like Carbon Copy Cloner (check http://www.versiontracker.com). In general, I say toss the OS install and save the data (in which case drag-and-drop is fine) but I know how picky a Beige with a G4 in it can be about an OSX install, so if you have a working one, I say hang on to it (check my sig, been there, done that...)

Hope this helps.

-alex.

The HP9510i cdrw is bootable. I also have a beige G3 and have had no problems booting into OS 9 and X. best part is...it was only $79 new. :D

Yamahaw CD-R/RW drive are bootable. I have a 16/10/40 but I doubt there is any difference on the newer models.

Thanks for the ideas... I'll look at the higher spec yamaha's for the internal...

it is a desktop Alexrd... and I have heard I will need to get a longer cable, because the ide cable is too short to snake thru.

As for the issues of the OS X and OS9... I will look at getting a new MAC...or using my old 6500/300 for OS 9 and use the upgraded beige for OS X..

hmmm.. that still doesn't resolve the space I'm lacking...only 1.26 gig left on that partition.

Thanks for all the help

Back