Shapeshifter YES?/NO?

arodweb

Registered
Hello there, i just downloaded shapeshifter and it seems pretty cool, I was wondering from the guys that currently use it of guys that had if it's really worth it! , does it cause problems at all?

thanks for any help :D

yes, i uses and found no problem. I have the theme called istyle with a icon set called jetblack as a replacement to default themes and icons.

Fantastic os x gui enhancement and could not live without it.

I use the normal aqua extreme, i find the blue buttons on windows much more soothing and normal than the wild red/yellow/green ones. Frankly, the red/yellow/green buttons on windows is really the biggest problem i had wit OS X.

I like eye-candy as much as most, but I urge caution. Over the last two decades there have been numerous applications that modify the Finder GUI. They often require considerable RAM and may slow down booting and window re-drawing at best. They can cause serious system problems at worst.

An important note is relevant here. Many Mac users are familiar with "Haxies", almost all of which are clever and fun, and productivity-enhancing. The problem is that haxies OFTEN create conflicts with other software. This is not as bad a situation as it was pre-OS X, but it is very well known to software developers. This is not apocraphal. I have experienced this on more occasions than I can easily recall.

I dont use shapeshifter or any theme changer for that matter. I just log in as root, and change a single file around (Extras.rsrc) and that changes a majority of the user interface, for me the red/yellow/green buttons to all blue ones. Make sure you always have an "Extras.rsrc" in your System folder though. I'm pretty sure its located in the Carbon framework / HIToolBox frameworks.

I am certain that whitesaint is accurate in his directions; but a caveat is in order. Mistakes made in performing interface tweaks can render your system unstable or unbootable. That is why, for nearly all Mac users, an application that acts as a "front-end" interface is a very good idea.

My own personal take on the theme apps is that I now avoid them.

I played around with them before, but then had a lot of trouble completely uninstalling them. (Can't recall exactly which app it was).

I can't point to specific system troubles caued by them, but to me it just makes my systeme impure. I have two machines, one for goofing off (iBook) and the other for pure work. The desktop machine does not get one single thing installed on it that is not completely necessary.

I'm not necessarily trying to talk anyone out of using themes, they're just not for me.

if you are getting tiger, maybe you should wait a while. it is possible it will stop working.

Decado said:
if you are getting tiger, maybe you should wait a while. it is possible it will stop working.

yes, i will upgrade to tiger when it comes out, apparently the shapeshifter crew are aware and prepared for tiger to make sure their software works fine.

On and off I've used some themes by the famous Max. But I've found myself back at Apple's decisions. Apple has very much improved the look of Aqua (I'm a Graphite user since 10.0) over the years since Mac OS X DP4. I think themeing OS X can be fun and all, but there remains the doubt of 'unsanity' with ShapeShifter as well.

Back