Share DSL connection between WIN XP and mac

Fred_flintstone

Registered
OK, I have a DSL connection and it runs into a Westell 6100 DSL Modem. I have read that the Westell is a router so I do not need an additional router, SO how can I share the DSL connection that goes to the Windows PC with the G4 Mac laptop?? I have a Ethernet switch on the way so hopefully that will get it done!? I was just wondering if anybody had any experience with the above configuration and could pass on any tips, advice etc??

So the ethernet switch should work. Input from modem into WAN plug hole and connect the computers into the LAN holes.

Make sure you plug the Westell router to the uplink port of your switch. Turn on dhcp on your Westell and set all network settings on your winxp and macosx on automatic. That should work.

I will give the above config.s a try. I am supposed to get the switch today. I read about a similar configuration on dslreports.com/faq for Bellsouth and Westell network related stuff. The switch I am getting supposedly auto senses the uplink, so it sounds pretty much like plug and play kind of. I’ll try to post the results of my network attempts to aid anyone else in a similar situation. Thanks for the tips!!

Well. it worked without any hesitation. I should point out my initial goal was to share a DSL connection from a Win XP box to a Mac laptop running OS X 10.4 so Internet only for starters. At some point I am sure I will tackle file sharing however not right this minute. Here is what I used to share the DSL connection: B.S. provided DSL Westell 6100 modem, Netgear FS605 Ethernet switch. As stated above, make sure all the NIC'S are set to Automatic, I just hooked up: DSL>Netgear>PC>Laptop. That particular Netgear switch auto sensed the uplink, no instillation other than wiring required. In the future I will try file sharing and my brief experience with file sharing has been that I can access the Mac with a direct Ethernet line easily, but Windows does not seem to want to allow me to access files on it, so on I go! Thanks again for the advice!

Why don't you plug your devices like this:
DSL > Netgear > PC
DSL > Netgear > Laptop
About your filesharing problem: did you share a folder to the right network-location (you should have one ethernet connection for the netgear 'lan1'? and one for your Mac 'lan2'?)? You should share the folder to the lan2 network. On the mac side simply press Apple+K in the finder and type in: 'smb://pc.ip.ad.ress'
This should work. Good luck!

I do plan on enabling file sharing at some point however with a DSL 'always on' connection I am still researching/ learning about security in the above setup. At this point the DSL is shared and the Mac is locked down and the PC is locked down so far as file sharing goes. Trying to weigh the cost/benefit of sharing between these two. Any pointers about security would be great. I am new to Mac but I am under the impression that the Mac, even if exposed to an infected PC, is not vulnerable however I do not know that I am technically proficient as of yet to test this theory.

Not a security expert, but my feeling along these lines:

None of the virus stuff that hits the Windows OS will do anything to a Mac. Mac can get a few macro issues from Office files (not sure what harm they can do though other than hose up the Office programs). Don't hear much about Mac OS viruses (apple software update has sent along security enhancements over time). Many mac users I know still have an antivirus program as to clean files that pass through them as to not pass on anything.

I would suggest you get advice on how to connect a PC to the internet with protection. I think a router between the PC and the DSL modem (unless modem is really a router) is a good idea.

Fred_flintstone said:
I do plan on enabling file sharing at some point however with a DSL 'always on' connection I am still researching/ learning about security in the above setup. At this point the DSL is shared and the Mac is locked down and the PC is locked down so far as file sharing goes. Trying to weigh the cost/benefit of sharing between these two. Any pointers about security would be great. I am new to Mac but I am under the impression that the Mac, even if exposed to an infected PC, is not vulnerable however I do not know that I am technically proficient as of yet to test this theory.
Turning on filesharing on your windows machine will not mean the files are shared to the wan (internet). In windows you specify to which network device you share your folders. And in this case it should be your local network. So, no security issues so far. On the mac side you can share certain folder with the app SharePoints which will not only allow you to specify the folders as in windows, but also restrict it to certain users from certain networks. And again, no security issues so far as well. In the end, if one manages to enter your pc or mac, the last thing you would worry is either your filesharing is on or off. So, keep the ports on your router closed and don't worry filesharing. Your router won't mix lan data traffic with the wan.
And if you can live with wires, stay away from any wireless solution. It's less safe, slower and less reliable.

I am cool with wires for now. I know for certain wireless is not secure because my neighbors network(s) are easy to pick up. Thanks for the insight regarding the extent of file-sharing, I still have some research to do to determine if the sharing is even necessary at this point. Since I realize somewhere down the road file sharing will be necessary I am just getting my ducks in a row so to speak. One thing is certain, I like my Mac much more than any PC I have ever had so maybe another, albeit less cost effective solution is get a Mac desktop so things will be a bit more seamless. Now for the latter solution I will need to work some overtime and there it will be!

Back