Share external Firewire RAID in Tiger Server

concept27

Registered
Hi all,

Here is a dumb request. I have a Tiger Server box integrated into a Windows AD and have a RAD Array (Firewire) connected to the Tiger box. When I go to the Workgroup Manager, the firewire volume does not show as shared. How do I share it so I can make it available to MAC and Windows users and configure permissions?

Thank you.

Not a dumb request at all. If you need the answer, you need the answer! :)

When you to into WGM, click on Sharing. You can look at the Share Points view or the Volumes view. Go into the Volumes and then either check the box to share the whole volume, or create folders on that FireWire disk to then share individually. From there, you can apply your permissions and so forth.

Michael

Michael, thank you for the prompt response. By now you may have noticed I am a windows admin and absolutely not a Mac person. The task at hand remains the same. The External Firewire RAID array contains about 200GB of files that are accessed by both Macs and Win users. In WGM I can see sevaral shared volumes like: Groups, Public and Users. But the RAID array (in this case called DATA) does not show. At this point I realized that the root of discs/volumes can not be shared. I am sure there is a command line that will accomplish that. When I install SHAREPOINTS (third-party s/w) than I am able to see the firewire volume but in creates permission conflicts and users lose volumes constantly. I prefer to stay away from SharePoints. I really appreciate a comprehensive workflow on how to share the entire firewire volume so I can apply AD permissions to them.

Any help is appreciated.

I studied the Tiger Server manual and here is quote. WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?

Problem:Can’t Access External Volumes Using Server Admin
Manager
solution If a server is at the login window, the remote user of Server
Manager) will not be able to manage external volumes
solve this problem, make sure the server is logged in.

What does "MAKE SURE THE SERVER IS LOGGED IN" mean?

I have about the same task.

However I am having the issue, where the fire wire appears on desktop.

It does not appearing the Work Group Manager>> Sharing>>All

I only see the mac hard drive there.

Any input would be helpful.

The server is logged in when a user is logged in. You have to go to the server and type a user name and password.

Back