Share files, what is the best way?

Sunnz

Who wants a stylus?
When sharing files between Mac and Windows over a network cable, it is very easy, simply use Samba in SysPref/Sharing.

What about Mac to Mac and other UNIX OS? What would be the best way to share files? Just as above, one single network cable connecting the 2 computers.

Thanks.

Yea but is that the best way?

Isn't there something better when doing UNIX to UNIX? Like NFS or something?

for mac to mac, How about a hard disk connected to the new airport extreme. Closest you'll get to a home based server for less that $300.- You can use cable or wifi..

That's kinda like exactly an answer _not_ to the question posed in this thread, isn't it?

When sharing files between Mac and Windows over a network cable, it is very easy, simply use Samba in SysPref/Sharing.

What about Mac to Mac and other UNIX OS? What would be the best way to share files? Just as above, one single network cable connecting the 2 computers.

Thanks.

If you want to stay with MacOS, you can just use a cable (or wireless) and the Public folder in your user's folder. You may need to manage the rights on your new files (as these have been made by different users), for that the MacOS way is through the Get Info menu. You have a more powerful way to manage the rights using the Terminal and "chmod" command.

Well I use scp to copy files between my Mac and Linux PC. Command scp
is part of the ssh command set. I use it mainly to move files from one machine
to another. Since it is command, it is a little hard to use. Also since it transfers
the data encrypted, it is slower than for example using Windows shared folder

Samba works well on Unix machines too so I don't see why you wouldn't want to use it.

Before I used samba (I thought it was too much hassle to set up), I used ftp to transfer files. Don't laugh, it worked quite well.

Back